So... How long before I want a new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zaeyde, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Zaeyde macrumors member

So I've got this shiny new macbook.
    2.4 Ghz. 4GB RAM. And a 250GB HDD.

I purposely brought up the specs as much as I could, because I wanted to "future proof" myself.
    So how long until programs that come out are over my macbook's capabilities?
    How long until the norm specs are higher than this one's specs?
    How long before I start to want a newer, faster model?

I tend to go through a laptop a year, but that's because of wear and tear.
    You think this one will last longer?

2. macman7002 macrumors regular

It really depends on what you use it for. I purchased a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of Ram and the 200GB HDD, it seems to be handling everything really well.
    I would say depending on what you do, you should be able to get maybe 3 years out of it. The iBooks and MacBooks are great laptops, and still use my 900MHz iBook G3 sometimes.
    But congrats on your new purchase!

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If your requirements are internet, mp3s, and documents, a seven-year old laptop will fill them. Lower your expectations...'tis the way to satisfaction.

4. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

I still have my iMac after a year and a half and it's as fast as the day I received it (besides boot up). The next revision will probably have a 2.2 of some sort as the base model, and 2.4 again, as the next one up, 2GB of RAM standard (I hope) and probably the same 120 GB hard drive.

Honestly, It will be 2-3 years before you may want a new one, but every person is different.

And for programs that are over your Macbook's capabilities... ever hear of Crysis?

just sit back, relax, and Enjoy your :apple:

5. NEiMac macrumors regular

Like Zaeyde said, it depends on what your doing with it. I am still fine with my old Core Duo macbook, but I only use it for internet, email, some light photo editing and itunes. I could be doing most of this on a old G3, lmao

6. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

like most of us you will probably upgrade before you need to anyway just because you'll want one of the new releases.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It will last you and serve you well for several years. You will begin lusting after a newer, faster model approximately 2-3 months before a newer, faster model is expected to be released. It is the way of things. :D

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If you mean physical wear and tear, there are a couple of tips to extend its life. I've battered my Macbook with extensive hard travel in the last 2 years, and it is showing signs of wear now.
    1. Get a sleeve to put it in. This protects the machine in your bag.
    2. Take care of the power adaptor. The cables have a tendency to break. I've gone through 2 (one on a Powerbook and one on a Macbook), and they aren't cheap.
    3. Keep the bit of fabric/foam that is inserted between the keyboard and screen when you got it. The keys can scratch the screen or at least leave deposits on it if the Macbook is subjected to pressure from say books in your bag.
    4. Do the battery maintenance. I haven't been so good, so my battery is not the best any more.

As for faster, well they will get faster, but I'm surviving quite well on my 2.0 CD Macbook after 2 years. The only way software that will exceed the Macbook in the near future is stuff that requires dedicated graphics. Also, Snow Leopard does indicate that Apple at least is moving to slim things down and get better performance rather than bloating software beceuse it can be done. Keep your Macbook well and it should last 4 years or more.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

pretty much all the good games out now are out of your capabilities :D

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

wow....

A laptop a year? I use mind every day and carry it around constantly. It's a 12" PB (the last model) that's almost three years old.

I'm just now looking to upgrade.

11. Jman14 macrumors 6502