So... how long before most apps can utilize more than 1 core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ravich, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I'm likely to be getting an 8 core Mac Pro because 4 memory slots is silly, but I dont particularly like the fact that the 8 core is limited when it comes to tasks that dont use multiple cores.

I suppose what I'm wondering is whether in a couple of years, non pro apps will have started utilizing multiple cores, or whether an 8 core machine is going to lose value because of the low clock speed of each core making it less practical for everyday use.

2. vgalbin macrumors newbie

Wait!

wait for the 12 core Mac Pro to come out in August.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some apps already do, e.g. After Effects. It's pretty much up to your usage because things like Safari and Mail won't be any faster even if they supported all 8 cores and 16 threads. So what apps do you use?

Industry is clearly moving towards multicore so sooner than later majority of apps start to support more cores but software is usually, if not always behind the hardware in these kinds of things. The support may also be fixed so only four cores for example.

Keep in mind that they support Turbo which increases single-threaded performance

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am mainly going to use the Mac Pro I get for logic, which doesnt have a problem utilizing multiple cores. I am simply wondering about it in terms of my Mac Pro retaining value.

From what I understand, turbo boost for the 8 core MPs is pretty weak, but I dont know if that's just something I heard someone say.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mac Pros keep their value pretty well. Even 2006 Mac Pro are still selling like hot cakes for nearly 2000$. The support is just increasing over time

Yeah, it's only 266MHz but it's more than nothing, that's roughly 10% anyway

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Isn't it 266MHz boost for all of them? The 3.33GHz six-core turbo's to 3.6GHz.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont know but hopefully before Solstice of 2012.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

In general, MP's retain a pretty good share of their new cost!

FWIW, I've trying to purchase a used MP for the last few weeks and gave up because the cost was too close to new. Paying ~75% for a two-gen old machine (early 2008) makes NO sense to me.

cheers
    JohnG