So how long does this indexing take ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yly3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. yly3 macrumors 6502

Hi!

Just got my new base 13" 2011 MBP and right now I hate it :D
    There is absolutely no difference between this one and my 13 2009 (C2D 2.26, 4RAM), I dare even say it's even slightly slower than the 2009 one lol.
    When I first booted Spotlight estimated 11 hours. I just reached that time and no difference.

How can I tell if indexing is still on ? Btw, Activity Monitor says I have 2 gigs in use (???). and I only have Safari and iTunes on. CPU 1.3% user, 1.5% system and 9x % idle.

EDIT: Oh and btw I am happy that this one came with SL, I'm on 10.6.8

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

11 hours? I think that's too long, mine took 10 minutes max after lion installed and 0minutes when I first bought my mac.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree it is too long.

I'd reboot the machine and let it reindex. My machine with is a 2007 Macbook took 20-30 minutes to index 110 GB worth of data.

4. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys I appreciate the fast reponse but there was a thread here not a a long about the same machine being too slow for its config and a lot of peeps actually said it takes around 12h to finish. I am confused ..

And what about those 2 gigs of ram eaten ?

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It's easy to tell if Spotlight is actively indexing. Just click on it in the top right to see the details. If it's indexing, there will be a dot in the middle of the magnifying glass.

6. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no dot anymore but this Mac is still slow ! I ain't seeing that 3600 (that being the 2010 model) vs 6000 difference the Geekbench said. And I obviously do not want to reformat, I don't see the point and I just finally finished moving back my data.

It doesn't even have 24 hours.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

hmm... yeah indexing took no time at all when i did it, or when i upgraded to 10.7.

As for the RAM? macs just eat up ram, in my opinion. pop 8 Gigs into that sucker.

8. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Did you actually run geekbench?

What exactly are you dong that you want to see your speed gains (or where you think you should see them)?

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you tried rebooting it?

In terms of the ram I wouldn't worry about. Wait until you are using the machine as you would normally and then have been running the machine for a while a day or so and then have a look at the pagein/page outs. If you have a high ratio of page outs then you need more ram for your usage.

10. yly3, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

^ About the ram, sorry but I refuse to believe it. My 2010 1.4 Core2Duo with 2 gigs of ram 11" MBA was running SL 10.6.8 like a champ and I was even able to play Splinter Cell Conviction (on ultra-low and with 10fps but still playable and impressive).

In fact, how many MacBook users have right now more than 4 gigs ? 25% ?

Do you guys know some programs for diagnosis or such, I am n00b-ish about such things, guess I got used too much "It just works" :)

POST EDITED :

Sorry, I just saw there were more posts.
    I haven't done anything heavy, just browsing, music, movies, MBA stuff.
    I am getting more beachballs than on the 2009 model. iTunes/iPhoto takes a good amount of time to open and we are talking about dual i5 here .. I know it's not SSD, but I've used computers for a good amount of time to realise if it's slow for its configuration.
    I
    For example, if I enter any folder with a 30-50 item list, it freezes for a second or two and so on.
    Small details like this which really ruin the experience. Like I said, in daily use my ex-2009 was let's say 20% faster.

The only reason I can think of (but I doubt) is that the Mac came with 10.6.6 and while it was indexing I actually ran Software Update and installed everything around 1.5GB (including the 10.6.8 update).
    It was actually a YouTube video that made me bite the bullet and buy this thing which showed how a "proper" 2011 base 13 should run, especially in daily use, aka flawless, almost SSD like.
    I also bought it for later small iMovie stuff but I haven't tested it yet under such circumstances.

EDIT 2 :

Just ran Geekbench : 5949.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Could it be possible that your hard drive is slowly dying? Some beach balls are warranted, especially if your cache is still building up. Sometimes it's your internet connection too.

RAM is for multi-tasking. The more you have, the more things you can do concurrently without it hiccuping. That's not saying your computer will crawl with less ram, but if you want to do a bunch of things with it with less ram, it will take longer.

12. yly3, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems that this machine is finally catching up. It feels like that indexing is at final stages or already finished. iTunes doesn't take 6-7 bumps anymore to open, but 1-2, everything begins to feel smooth.
    About the HDD dying, how "lucky" can I be with a fresh laptop ?
    It just hit 24 hours of usage since unboxing.

However, any help is welcome guys.

BTW !

Software Updater reports lots of updates for Safari, iWeb, iPhoto etc. and an interesting 3MB one called MBP EFI Firmware update. Who knows..

EDIT:

Also the used RAM has dropped from 2.0 to 1.64 with no change of usage type being made. So obviously, somewhere deep inside this machine, changes were and are being made :)

13. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Check your activity monitor. Is MDS the one that's going crazy?

If so, watch for mdworker, view additional details or whatever they call it, and it should show you the hangup in the indexing.

Exclude your *ahem* torrents/seeded files *ahem* from indexing. That solved a friend of mine's problem with indexing. I had to run a quick defrag through Drive Genius 3 and that solved my indexing problem.

I posted up about the same issue a couple months ago and those were the steps I had to take.

14. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what you're saying about the torrent related indexing, sorry ..
    mdworker is at 0.
    Basically there is nothing eating RAM or CPU according to Activity Monitor.
    I will give it a rest tonight

On the positive side, I like that the 2011 model has a better lid display.
    4 bars is the equivalent of 7 bars on the 2009 model so better battery life for me yay.