So, how long is the wait...?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TMR812, Aug 13, 2007.

1. TMR812 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I know this one is impossible to answers, but I wanted to round up some opinions. I'm currently a PC user looking to go to the Mac pro. I know an update is looming, but the question is when... I can wait, but I don't really want to. At the same time, I don't want to buy now if the same money gets me a better spec in a month or so.

Soooo, could everyone get out there crystal balls and give me your thoughts on the timing and nature of the next Mac Pro update? Are we looking at a month or so, or more like three? Do we expect the revisions to be worth the wait?

Also, I'm not a gamer, so I'm not waiting for the latest video card. I just want to try and time my purchase to get the most for my money (without waiting toooooo looooong).

Thanks for the predictions,

TMR

2. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

my crystal ball is pointing towards september 11, but..due to what has happened on that date in the past..i dont know if apple would release a product on that day or not, if not, i am going to say sept 18 or 25. i hope its sooner..

my reasoning..bc the mac pro hasnt been updated..a REAL UPDATE>> since it was introduced and apple has recently upgraded every computer in there line recently. apple gave the iphone jsut over 5 weeks to shine, then the imac and other updates came out. so..giving the imac 5 weeks lands on sept 11. which..would give the Mac pro around 5 weeks to shine before leopard...so..i think i have thought that out..and when they update the mac pro..i also say they wil update the ipod line..but hey.. i dont know anything u guys dont know..do i?????:)

Brad

ps,i really have no idea..but i think i have thought it out well

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I am hoping for November. We should be guaranteed Harpertown and SS by then. And the buyers guide will hold true too. :D

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Bite thy tongue suneohair!!! :D I'm hoping for sooner than that, much sooner, but who knows. As someone else mentioned, the Mac Pro hasn't had a real update since it was introduced August 2006.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Haha. Yeah. I would rather them push it out further. Because if it happens in October and they stick Clovertowns in I will be mighty pissed.

I of course hope for it to be sooner, but I want it to be a proper update, you know? I still think the end of next month looks good, Paris expo (although someone said they haven't done something there since 04, but they have and thats what matters). I am really hoping for Harpertown.

I don't think anything will be happening for at least the next 45 days. So settle everybody. It is going to be a long few months :D

6. Amethyst macrumors 6502

I think Apple expo paris is our destination 'cause now all mac line has been update macbook macbook pro then last week imac and mac mini , next time is our time but 11 sept is ipod event so we can't hope any mac release in ipod event, but Apple expo is mac / ipod event

7. newportmac macrumors member

I wouldnt hold your breath for anything earth shattering to be announced at the Expo in Paris.. .. the announcements of past have been very bland... and when did Jobs have pancreatic cancer?

2007 Paris, France 25 to 29 September.
    2006 Paris, France From 12 to 16 September at Paris expo.
    2005 Paris, France The traditional keynote done by Apple at both MacWorld Expo, and Apple Expo was left out. The only product announced by Apple was a new and improved .mac bundle.
    2004 Paris, France Due to Steve Jobs having pancreatic cancer, the keynote was instead done by Phil Schiller, an Apple executive. Schiller announced the new iMac G5.
    2003 Paris, France Steve Jobs announced various upgrades to the PowerBook G4 line of computers. As well, he announced the Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse.
    2002 Paris, France Much of the keynote consisted of a demo of Apple's new Mac OS X v10.2 operating system. Steve Jobs also announced iCal and iSync.
    2001 N/A The Apple Expo was cancelled due to the September 11, 2001 attacks.
    2000 Paris, France In this keynote the Mac OS X public beta was announced, as well a series of new iBooks.

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

:rolleyes:

17 months without an update? Apple couldn't be that callous.

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Sure they would. Mac Pro owners aren't saying their machines are too slow, so with all those satisfied owners, why would apple rush to upgrade a line of systems that aren't their main focus? The feedback apple receives from Mac Pro owners is overwhelmingly positive.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

If Apple could just say this month, "Hey, thinking about updating the MacPros early next year." That would then get me to just buy the thing right now. I'm sick of waiting. September 25th will be my cut off time.

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I don't know about that. I use the feedback form every day, and rotate through my family and friends' e-mail addresses. :D

12. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

you own a Mac Pro? I thought you were on permanent wait status...

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Mac Pro buyers aren't idiots either, and neither are Apple. It is very unlikely they will not migrate to new hardware this year.

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You must be the one who reads all the feedback....

And as has been said many a time, no one is saying the Mac Pro isn't a good Mac. It just needs to be updated.

15. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

It seems somewhat pointless for them to do any major upgrades until that point. They are a bit caught between a rock and a hard place. People want upgrades, but they wouldn't be satisfied with the minor updates that would occur.

cheers.

16. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

See before Intel no one had any real idea what the value of a G5 processor was. So a Powermac was never really looked at as a bad value. Maybe outdated.. but not a bad value. Now with Intel it is simply a new game. These same parts are in dozens of computers and their ever-changing value can be seen online in minutes. It may take Apple some time to adjust to this if they even decide to. But leaving a machine at the same price 6 months after a huge price cut is not going to fly for very long imo.

17. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Tuesday November 13

I think Topper is spot on due to limited supply of Harpertown C2Q and SS motherboards up 'til then. I also think the HSS Mac Pro may NEED Leopard to run properly.

So ship Leopard Friday October 26
    Announce new Mac Pro Tuesday November 13, Ship by Thanksgiving

Still two months before the MacWorld Expo SteveNote Tuesday January 15 so developers can have their act together by Expo '08 time.
    Yes.

18. deux-ex-mak macrumors newbie

concatenation

I think unfortunately MM is right, it will be rather November.

If you put all the pieces together, specially considering the new factor in the game -intel, there are only going to be a limited number of options and they will play the best one to fit their overall plan.

That said, it's the first time the MP has to go thru a CPU + MB change and, if their marketing logic is to be consistent, although they must upgrade, we're not talking about the consumer CPU kind of fast cycles here. We will see but to me the consistency will come from effectively incorporating Happerton. It would be contradictory not to be on the latest tech available in every update, for what a MP is and is meant to be

19. TMR812 thread starter macrumors newbie

Uggghhhh!!!

I don't know about you guys, but the longer I wait, the more I feel compelled to continue to wait.

Why can't they just tell you when it will be. Forget about what it will be, just let me know when. If I knew it was going to be January, then I'd buy right now, and move on. This little game we have to play is really quite aggravating. Is this a normal thing in the mac world?

Not having a mac yet, I don't really know what I'm missing. Maybe I should get out while I still can. :)

TMR