So how many have hacked?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by rworne, Oct 21, 2007.

1. rworne macrumors 6502

I have a partial answer.

I have the dubious distinction of coming out with the PPC version of the modified iPHUC shortly after the jailbreak was completed. My version wound up as the version to get on the touchdev site.

So at least, I believe my numbers are pretty representative of the PPC users who have hacked their iPod touch.

So it turns out today, according to my Rapidshare account that hosts the file that 2045 people have downloaded my utility and I assume they have also used it to liberate their shiny new toy.

Now if the person who is hosting the Intel and Windows versions could chip in, I'd love to see the numbers.

2. thejoe macrumors newbie

I just bought my iphone version 1.1.1 today and jailbreaked and unlocked it. I did in on windows xp, by man it sures seems like it would of been easy and fast on a mac and there seems to be more support.

3. rworne thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, PPC Mac users were the last group to get a solution. Windows was the 2nd, Intel Mac 1st.

While it isn't necessarily hard to do on a Mac, I would call it tedious.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

5. gvegastiger macrumors regular

I hacked mine using touchfree but had to do a restore. It was crashing all the time. Everything from games to safari to just listening to music. Not so sure if I'm going to go through the effort of hacking it again.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thats only because of SummerBoard, what i've found if you use the theme wallpaper and turn wallpaper dimming off it stops crashing. Also, these a update to SummerBoard that makes it more stable, its in Installer.app but DONT INSTALL SUMMERBOARD 2.11! Install the other one.

7. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Do you have to have summerboard installed in order to have the install.app? Can I install someones custom spring board and still have stability?

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

No you dont need SummerBoard, and you can uninstall it but it has to be done manually, do a search, tutorials on doing that are everywhere.

If by that you mean changing the icons etc. then yes you can but it has to be done manually or with another app like Customize.

9. imonlysleeping macrumors newbie

iJailBreak

According to the iJailBreak page on Google Code:

0.2.1 - 21391 downloads
    0.3 fixed - 14423 downloads

I used iJailBreak yesterday from my MacBook Pro and I've been enjoying all the iPhone apps along with 3rd party ones from Installer (great selection, even this early on). I haven't had any issues with SummerBoard or any other app so far. I've also been able to SSH and FTP into it to store/manipulate files. I highly recommend jailbreaking if you haven't done it already.

10. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Will Customize work on an XP machine?

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Customize runs on the iPod Touch not the computer, get it from the Installer.