So how many of you aren't using core apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Abazigal, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

As of IOS7, virtually all the core apps received a redesign.

For those of you who were using 3rd party apps in place of core apps like mail and Safari, has the revised core apps prompted you to return to them?

For myself, I find I hate the new calendar app with a vengeance, and so am sticking with fantastical.

Likewise, for email, I moved to mailbox, initially out of curiosity, then later stuck with it when I found it to be pretty useful. That gmail no longer supports push on my iphone5s was another strong incentive to stick with mailbox. Not to mention how Mailbox pretty much messes up your email account's layout to the extent that it is quite unwieldy and difficult to use outside of the mailbox app itself.

What about yourselves? How many of the core IOS apps are currently sitting unused inside a folder because you have found more suitable alternatives for yourself? :p

2. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Historically I've used Chrome over Safari and the Weather Network app over the core app. With the latter it's simply because they provide far more accurate conditions and forecast than the Yahoo! driven core weather app although with the new design, I really want to use it.

I'm trying Safari but the jury is still out on that one.

3. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Is Fantastical good?

More importantly, is it free?

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

There are a few core apps I don't use, not because of better alternatives, but because I just dont need them.

All of the core apps basically serve the purpose I need them for, although I don't need any fancy settings or whatnot.

When mailbox supports @outlook.com though, I might switch to it.

5. Zeeshee macrumors regular

Here are mine

Attached Files:

6. syd430 Guest

Actually those apps are quite common. Found on ~100% of iPhones.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

Pretty sure I'm one of many. Only stock apps that I really use are Mail and Weather.

8. notrack macrumors 6502

Reminders. Besides the unpleasant ui they killed the day selector/filter.

9. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

Used Mailbox under iOS 6 but now back to the default mail app under iOS 7. I use Google Maps instead of iOS Maps because it just is awful here. I am looking for a new calendar app though as the stock app is that bad. Worst app in iOS 7 IMO. Also used Yahoo! Weather in iOS 6 but now back to the stock one as I prefer the integration (I know it uses the same data!)

Also tried Chrome briefly but firmly back to Safari as now I can't live without the swipe to go back feature!

10. deep1 macrumors regular

^^^^^ This, exact same setup. Mailbox do look crap on ios 7.

11. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

The only stock apps I've replaced are Calendar (Week Cal) and Weather (The Weather Channel Max).

Of course then there are the other stock apps that I never use (Newsstand, Passbook, Game Center, Stocks, Voice Memos).

12. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Both look about the same to me. :p

13. zipster macrumors 6502

The Calendar app is atrocious. I use WeekCal.

I like Safari on iOS, even though I use Chrome on my Mac.

I switched to the GMail app, since I couldn't use Exchange/Push with the stock Mail app. I liked the Mail app, though. But I have no huge qualms with the GMail app.