So how on earth do you add custom ringtones?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by RatHat, Oct 15, 2011.

1. RatHat macrumors member

iOS 5 just doesnt let me add custom ringtones. Is there a workaround?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Workaround for what? What's your problem?

3. RatHat thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way to set an iPhone 4 to use a custom ringtone?

If I go to settings, sounds, ringtone, all that are listed are the standard iOS 5 ringtones. The custom ringtones I have, which show in iTunes, are not showing under the settings.

That is my problem.

4. mikehockenballs macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Ringtones

I upgraded to IOS5 and my custom ringtones are still intact and they work fine for me.

Maybe the 'backup' process was not 100% successful on your iphone when you upgraded to ios5?

5. French macrumors regular

With your phone connected to iTunes, make sure you go to the "ringtones" tab and that the ringtones you expected to be on your phone have a check mark next to them. Just because they are in iTunes doesn't mean they automatically sync to your phone. You may need to specifically select them.

6. guilderlandny, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

guilderlandny macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem. If your Sync had any errors, like "Could not transfer xxx (song or ringtone) because it coud not be located", the custom ringtones listed without errors would not transfer. I opened the dialog box & deleted the problem files and the custom ringtones moved over on the next Sync.

7. RatHat thread starter macrumors member

That got it!

Seems that they were showing in iTunes, but hadn't transferred across. I unchecked all, then did a sync, then checked them and sync'ed again and they went in without any problem.

Many thanks for your help.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I use GarageBand on my Mac which allows me to use any of my own music and sounds to create ringtones and alert tones on my iPhone. After that just go to Share > Send as Ringtone and it'll show up in iTunes.