>> So...how was your release day? <<

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MT0227, Jun 24, 2010.

1. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Mine was fantastic. The crew at 5th Ave in NYC are awesome; really know how to run the show. They were totally in control all night, helping people with questions and confirming reservations; handing out all the water you could drink (free). The atmosphere was fun and exciting, the crowd was great. I was fortunate to be one of the people in the first wave going in, probably about #30. The 5th Ave. crew were giving us high fives as we walked down the stairs to standing cheers. It was a pretty cool feeling and they seemed to be enjoying it as much as we did. I reserved a 16gb, they let me grab a 32gb with no questions asked :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRn0CAG2NQI

Attached Files:

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

This was mine... but ours was definitely bigger (the early goers)
    the video i posted was 5 hrs after prior from my purchase.
    (had to go back to get iTunes giftcard for iMovie!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9tA7NPZtp8

3. Dr Lu 2010 macrumors member

at what time did the 5th ave store sell out? anyone know... Im in manhattan ..closer to the UWS and was wonderin which store has the best possibility in landing an iphone 4

4. auero macrumors 65816

Horrible. Waited forever to move 10 feet in the line (roughly 6 hours). They were letting the reserve line go at a ratio of 15:1 :mad: I almost gave up.

5. milerich macrumors regular

Attached Files:

6. milerich macrumors regular

Vertical photos :)

Attached Files:

7. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

8. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Since iGot my iPhone 4 yesterday, and was doing an upgrade swap, it was hell...

9. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

Mine went really smooth. Had a little trouble setting up a new family account but other then that the line went pretty quick and was in and out within about 2 hours. This is my first iPhone and first time to go to a launch opening and it was real organized and smooth. Overall it was a good day!

10. jason221 macrumors 6502

Waited 6 hours in line, and I had a reservation. *shudder*

11. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I have made a blog post about my iPhone 4 and some general first impressions (http://allthingstarun.wordpress.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-review/). But I also wanted to tell the tale of my day.

I got to the parking lot at 5:30a and was standing in the reservation line for a good 3 hours before I was in and out with the device. The Apple Store eventually had cops come in and set up two lines, but before there was chaos with the non-reservation line (anyone at Indianapolis want to comment on this?). The non-reservation line was at the door, wrapped around the mall to a garage parking lot. It had at least 300-400 people by the time the doors opened, with more trickling in. The reservation line also had about 200 people in line, with more coming in as the line progressed through. I knew I was getting a phone but to come early and see the crowd was amazing -- never thought a consumer product could garner this much hype.

Anyway, at about 6:45am, the Apple Store people came out shouting and hollering getting the crowd excited, and food was being tossed out to those in both lines (non-reservations got preference). There was a lot of smart water, chex mix bags, and Starbucks coffee to be had. A band had also set up, playing some covers of tunes (violinist and a guitarist). It was a funny band and good entertainment. The Apple Store was limited to having about 50 people (including employees) at any given time, and the ratio of people let in was about 1 non-reservation to 3-4 reservations. They had a huge stock of phones behind the genius bar and even more in the back room, to be sure. The manager did say he told many people to leave as stock just wasn't high enough. Once I did get in the store (about 8:00a), I quickly picked up a 32GB phone, even though I had reserved a 16GB phone. They were nice about it and it was a great experience overall.

Anyway, enjoy my review and let me know if you have any questions/comments in the blog. Happy iPhone Day!

PS -- I got on the news and was interviewed! Check it out on my blog as well: http://allthingstarun.wordpress.com/2010/06/24/i-got-on-tv/