So how will lining up early at an Apple Store in a mall work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJayC, Jun 9, 2010.

1. CJayC macrumors 6502

Since it's not a standalone store will shoppers have to wait outside the doors and wait until the doors open and everyone makes a mad rush to the Apple Store?

The idea intrigues me.

2. Built macrumors 68020

Good question.

I'd also like to make sure they are separating the lines for pre-orders and non-pre-orders.

3. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

Did they do that in the past?

4. Built macrumors 68020

Yes, they did. From what I understand they had one line for pre-orders and reservations, and another line for the "masses" who enjoy camping out for two days...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

This year, they are not taking reservations...just pre-orders...

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

My apple store in the mall let's every one in but seperates the lines. So you basicly cut every one.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Each mall/Apple store will setup their own rules. Some wait inside, some wait outside. Some have multiple lines, some have one big one.

7. manjaap macrumors member

They are letting you reserve iP4's at the retail stores. From the bottom of apple.com/iphone:

"Beginning June 15, you can reserve your iPhone 4 for pickup at an Apple Retail Store."

8. uneek1 macrumors regular

Why would people wait in line if they didn't reserve it early? Makes no sense to me...

9. actionvaughn macrumors member

actionvaughn

There was a line in the parking structure before our mall opened. An Apple store employee would then come out and attempt to lead everyone single file through the mall to the front of the store when it finally did.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

In my experience, most of the people w/ no reserve were completely unaware of the reserve option.

11. microcolt macrumors regular

Because stupid people do stupid $h!t, like the guys that reserve an iPhone and blend it 4 minutes later.

12. Mercaptan macrumors regular

If the iPad launch is any guide, then there will definitely be separate lines for pre-orders and "the masses without pre-orders".

At my local mall, they just had nice velvet ropes set up for both groups just outside the store. Interestingly, the way things worked was that they let one member of the unwashed masses in for every ten pre-order people. Still took about 15 minutes to get in with a pre-order, and the non-preorder line was a lot longer...

So, uh, totally worth it to pre-order if you've no doubt.

13. uneek1 macrumors regular

They don't know about the reserve option, but they know about the release date?

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't get how that is possible. :apple:

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

You can sign up as a mall walker and get in at 6am.

15. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

Because most American adults are really stupid when it comes to simple information. Like calling tech support when everything is now able to found online when the crappy tech support lady is just reading from her Help Manual.

16. uneek1 macrumors regular

That sounds like a good horror movie title, "The Mall Walkers."

17. supremeMilo macrumors member

I was wondering this too, and I think I am at the same Apple store is you (first colony)

If you find out any info e-mail or aim me. username at gmail.com and username on aim.

18. Built macrumors 68020

So true! I've fixed so many of my own computer glitches/issues, as well as my friends', just using Google.

19. autumnmike macrumors member

whats the difference in the reservation vs. pre-order at the apple store?
    aka. i don't get paid till the 20th. do they charge for the pre-order on the 15th or on the 24th? and if you reserve/pre-order you're pretty much guaranteed a phone on opening day? right?

p.s. see you at the santa rosa plaza.

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You'd think this would be obvious, but people keep starting threads like this.:rolleyes:

21. Built macrumors 68020

...and people like us keep pushing them to the top by answering them.

It's a vicious cycle. :p

22. caranddriver macrumors regular

caranddriver

Since the Apple and ATT websites were abject failures, I used the iPhone app and got a reservation for pickup at a store.

I really hope the Valley Fair (San Jose/Santa Clara) will have separate lines for reserved and non-reserved.

23. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Perhaps they want white iPhone 4's and the rumor is true that you can only get them in person on launch day, no pre-orders. Perhaps.

24. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Or because chaos occurs doing pre-orders like today and they don't want to deal with it.