So I bought a 17" uMBP Anti-Glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Sep 20, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Managed to get a good deal on my old uMBP 15", and dived in to get the 17" with anti-glare. However, after a day of using it, I am regretting it simply because of the resolution. I just find everything just too small - I usually skim through things (Finder etc) and now I find I have to focus properly rather than skim.

Otherwise a really sturdy and nice laptop, I just can't hack everything being so small. I was looking forward to the higher resolution, but now I realise that for me, 1920x1200 on a 17" panel is maybe slightly over kill for me.

Hopefully the Apple Store will let me exchange it for a 15" MacBook Pro, but obviously with an anti-glare finish.

Do the Apple Stores have the 15" MBP in anti-glare in store..?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The only AG 15" in stock at most stores (if not all) is the 2.8GHz model which is what I assume your going to buy.

3. akbc macrumors 6502

I highly doubt that they wouldn't have the anti-glare option available in store immediately for you to purchase, simply because it is a CTO option.
    You can always call Apple and tell them your story and see what kind of service they can provide for you.

4. Harrelson macrumors member

I love small fonts on my computers. I used to use styleselector on Windows to reduce my font size and currently on Leopard i have custom fonts instead of the default one.

Cant wait for my 17" to arrive in a few days

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah, it'll be the 2.8GHz model.

I'll give the Glasgow store a buzz tomorrow - fingers crossed they have it in stock.

6. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

You know you can set the computer to a lower resolution. The 17" supports: 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels (all should be available at: system preferences > displays)

That will make all the fonts and icons appear larger on screen. That is if you like everything else about the computer.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you.

-spg

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Whatever happened to the MUCH HYPED "resolution independent" functionality that we were expecting :confused: :confused:

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That is what I wanna know. Did Apple scrap it or something?

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Resolution independence would be perfect here - but I guess we won't see it till 10.7 at least..

Hopefully the Glasgow store has the 15" 2.8GHz in anti-glare and I'm able to do a direct swap.

I'm disappointed that I can't really adjust to the higher resolution. I've tried - and thought it would benefit me but it really isn't. Screen size is brilliant, but unless I can read the menus easily without having to fully focus on it (i.e. skim through things) then it isn't going to suit me.

Really gutted - shame they don't offer 1650x1080 anymore on the 17". A high res display is great if you have a GUI that can compensate.

This is just my experience - others may like high-res, but I really can't adjust to it.

No because an LCD screen only looks sharp and fine at its native resolution - anything lower is fuzzy.

10. felt. macrumors 6502a

you could always try to adjust UI resolution via quartz debug (from xcode)
    [​IMG]
    but ya, resolution independent would definitely be great..

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Kilamite - you have only given it a day and are concluding that you can not adjust :confused:

I would give it at least another several days - you have 14 days to return it I believe.

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

As I said, I can't really skim through things like files, songs in iTunes etc without having to focus a bit harder. I understand why the high ppi is great, but for me, I find everything just too small for my eyes to be comfortable with.

Called the Glasgow store - they have all three 15" MacBook Pro's with anti-glare in stock. So I'll be paying a visit either tomorrow or Wednesday.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...swap it out and be happy with your purchase... the 17" is too big to be portable anyway (try using it on an airplane in coach seating for example)...

14. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

There was a law passed here in the UK a couple of years ago. We have more legroom and space than most US airlines, this was due to people getting back problems and some serious problem with knee joints off of planes, so instead of letting us sue the airlines for millions, they just gave us 6" more room xD

15. emcham macrumors member

Kilamite, this was my situation exactly! I had always wanted a anti-glare 17" and was really surprised when I finally got it how uncomfortable I was with the resolution. I ordered it online. They let me exchange it for the 15" one. Good luck! I think you will love the 15".

16. aleni macrumors 68020

give time.. my eyes need 3 weeks before it adapted to the resolution.

now it's been ok since my eyes have adapted. i almost sell it after 2 weeks of eye strain, but i decided to wait for a while and then i don't have that eye strain anymore..

everything is small and perfect, working with a lot of windows open one time at the screen is easier and amazing. i know we have "spaces", but it's not that really convinience to move around spaces.

right now, looking at 1440x900 resolution which 15 mbp has is so ugly, let alone the 1280x800.. at least for me.

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I read what you said - what I am suggesting is that you have NOT given it enough time to determine if you will adjust to the higher resolution and thoroughly enjoy it.

18. aleni macrumors 68020

agreed! juat give enough time. at least a few weeks, after that and you still don't like it. then get ready to exchange it with the 15".

19. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Hmm...my 17" fits just fine in coach. I guess if you're fat it might now fit. LOL

20. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I do enjoy it - I love the fact that my whole iTunes window is a 3rd of the size than it was on my 15" MBP - I can do so much more at once instead of a window taking up the whole screen.

Part of the reason that I am rushing to get it changed is that I can't go back to Glasgow next week or the week after, and I only have 14 days..

It is a great machine - maybe once OS X gets full resolution independence I'll look at the 17" again, but right now it isn't doing my eyes any justice.

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I would think 5-7 days of use,sahould be enough assuming it is used daily.

Maybe he is having " buyers remorse " for buying the oversized 17" and is just looking for a legitimate excuse to go with the 15" ! :D

He's afraid if he uses it any more he may like it! :D

22. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I doubt it..once you pass the $2250 mark, price has little to do with the decision. I bought a 17" for the same reasons he did and was afraid the font was a little small also. I have to read a lot and write on mine so I didn't want to be stuck with resolution that made that task more difficult, so I exchanged it. I actually appreciate the 15" resolution more having used the 17" because I realize that the resolution is a perfect font for reading quickly like the OP said.