So I bought a $1700 laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StlCards80, Feb 13, 2017.

1. StlCards80 macrumors member

StlCards80

So I bought a $1700 laptop. A MacBook Pro 13" touch bar. After reading tons of reviews I decided to take the plunge.

First thoughts? I spent a few minutes on FaceTime and the battery dropped 5 percent(pre-update). Then, I loaded my apps. The speakers on it are fantastic. I've had an iPhone for years, but I've always used windows laptops. Talk about an upgrade.

Why did I buy a $1700 laptop? After 10 years in sales I decided to make a career change into programming. I've dabbled in Wordpress sites for the better part of 10 years, and I've always tinkered with what's under the hood, but never fully committed to programming. Software jobs are on the rise and there will be shortage in the next 5-7 years, so rather than sulk about the state of the economy, I decided to learn a new skill.

So, that's why I paid $1700 for my MacBook. To those that aren't happy with their machines, I understand. For me, I'm very happy. To those that are too picky about their machines I would probably wait for the Kaby processor. For me, this is one will suffice.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

You could have used your current machine to play around with wordpress ;)

Enjoy your Mac!

3. StlCards80 thread starter macrumors member

StlCards80

True, but if I'm going to spend hours learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript I want to drive a Mercedes, not a Daewoo :)

4. Swisspo macrumors regular

Swisspo

We meet again! LOL! Hows the new MB treating you thus far? Mine was delivered to me this morning.

5. - rob - macrumors regular

- rob -

Hey, I hope the new machine is a great motivator for you. I admire folks who want to learn programming as a new skill.

Wordpress / PHP is a fine set of skills. However, can I recommend you consider studying Python and Django? This is a really great web app framework and it can set you up to create APIs for mobile apps and more. If you have time to learn, I suggest the "Tango with Rango" tutorial.

6. jerryk macrumors 68020

As someone who does this day in day out, I would not oversell the difference. You are going to spend a lot of time staring at a text editor. Spend money on the best external monitor and keyboard you can buy.o_O

7. StlCards80 thread starter macrumors member

StlCards80

It's been great! I got mine this morning too as the weather in New York delayed delivery.

I'm impressed. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do. I don't know if I'm just blown away by the change from Windows or it's just something new, but I tell you the trackpad and keyboard are enough to make me never want to go back to a windows laptop ever again.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually learning the basics of Python right now on Code Academy. I know Code Academy is more of a "hold your hand" tutorial, but my aim is to get the fundamentals down before I attempt anything more aggressive. And the amount of help from experienced programmers has been fantastic. Code Academy has been a great resource.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    I appreciate the advice! I splurged and probably overpaid for what I need, but I'm happy.

8. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Considering doing the same. Someone has offered $1600 for my current rig (15" MacBook Pro). Obviously won't be the same level of change as you, but I love new things and I think there are ways in which the touchbar would benefit me.

Deciding between 13" w/ TB and 12" Macbook (fully spec'd). Any thoughts?

9. StlCards80 thread starter macrumors member

StlCards80

From what I've read people in your position won't see much of an upgrade, so you may be better off waiting for the Kaby processor to come out later this year. For me it was night and day, so I'm glad I upgraded. I haven't used the touch bar a lot yet because my mind still isn't aware it's even there, but it's definitely a useful tool.

10. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Sounds about right. My only justification against waiting is that every day my current laptop becomes less valuable in trade-ins. Still, maybe better not to jump in on the first generation of a product.

11. - rob - macrumors regular

- rob -

PHP is not really a language of the future. You would definitely be more marketable over time as a Python developer. The solution to getting experience is to build things. Build crappy things quickly, then start over and try to do it better. I liked Tango w Rango because they have a great tutorial that also helps you learn how to set up your system. Good luck.

12. StlCards80 thread starter macrumors member

StlCards80

I've played a little bit in terminal, but I would need a refresher when using Github. I'll have to check out that resource as well. Any help is appreciated.

13. - rob - macrumors regular

- rob -

Part of web programming is devops. This is setting up your machine using virtual environment and virtualenvwrapper, using git (i.e. w GitHub or bitbucket) and configuring your terminal with a thing like zsh. When you get good, you can learn how to set up your own VPS to host your staging / production website.

The best way is to dive right in to a guide that starts you from scratch on how to set stuff up. Although this is a few Django versions old, this guide is what I used a while back to learn about these different things. I def recommend you take the time to try and learn this stuff. There is no good web programming without a fair amount of time in the terminal.

14. StlCards80 thread starter macrumors member

StlCards80

That's what I've read. I just haven't used it enough yet and I'm looking for all the resources I can. I'll check these out and start practicing.

15. StlCards80 thread starter macrumors member

StlCards80

Can you offer a good learning resource that doesn't push a boot camp? A boot camp is the end game, but Code Academy paid pushed me to their boot camp.

Do you just practice a ton and move on from there? A lot of these camps are front end, and that's just not where I'm at.

16. esaelias macrumors regular

esaelias

kaby lake comes out then people will moan for the next one...never ending