So I bought a Gen '08 MBP a month ago.. White blotch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcm431, Sep 29, 2008.

1. rcm431 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

So like the subject of the post says, I dropped the 3 grand and bought a new 17" MBP about a month ago. This is my first Apple laptop and have fallen in love with it.. except for one thing..

I'm an Engineering student and am always on my computer. I take it to class, I use it all the time. Over the past month I've noticed a white blotch towards the bottom right corner of my screen, more so in the middle than anything. It has grown over this period of a month.

It has gotten to the point now where it is actually bothersome at times depending on the color and contrast of the background that is being displayed.

Included are some pictures I took... (I apologize for the horrible quality, camera phone).

I tried to find an email for Apple tech support but apparently unless you use Apple Photo or have an iPod this is nonexistent.

Attached Files:

2. Firanide macrumors member

If you did indeed buy it a month ago, you're still covered under a 90-day complimentary AppleCare phone support.

If you're not completely sure, check your warranty.

If you're still under AppleCare support, give them a call and they'll be able to guide you through the necessary course of action. If possible, try to take it to the nearest Apple store, since you should be covered under Apple's 1-year parts & labour warranty. In this case, I figure they would fix it since it seems to be a large affected area, but I couldn't say for certain.

Edit: Actually, I just looked at the pictures again. I don't know if they would fix that since it's not technically dead pixels or anything...but still give it a try.

3. rcm431 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I can run it by the Apple store 20 miles down the road or so next week sometime. Was also just curious if it has happened to anybody else... Was very strange...

I found some similar problems being reported online just doing some searching through google, but no real updates about the problem getting fixed.

It's definitely an issue with the display, there's no bad pixels... But, there should not be large bleached blobs forming on my screen.

The display was glistening when I took it out of the box... So it has gotten worse over the past four weeks.

4. Firanide macrumors member

It looks to me like it's a misaligned LED light in your screen...probably was connected loosely and has shifted when you move the laptop around. They should be able to fix it, but you won't be able to do anything yourself (without voiding your warranty, at least).

5. rcm431 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump...

So after about a weeks experience with Apple technical support and the Apple Store, I can say that I am absolutely appalled with their customer service, and the general common sense of the so called "Geniuses" repairing the computers.

I had my first replacement Clamshell Display Work Order finished in less than 24 hours, I thought great, that was good timing. I went in later that evening leaving my University, arrive, and there are scratches on the exterior of the display, and three dead red pixels in the dead center of the screen. I quickly pointed it out to the Genius where he tried to say that "They weren't there when he was looking at the machine", I guess the scratches weren't either.

They keep it for another day to install a second display. I come back this evening to pick up the computer, and check everything out. Sure enough this display also has not a scratch, but a gouged section of the finish of the computer on it's exterior, also, the left magnetic latch fails to work entirely. I pointed it out to the "Geniuses" at the Genius bar and asked them straight forward... "What the hell?" I raised hell with them about how terrible their support is, and how you replace something, and don't even take the time to see if the computer is in the same condition that it was originally in. I paid 3 thousand dollars for a laptop, I expect to see it.

Being a Computer and Network technician myself, and a person who is very thorough when fixing another person's computer. I told him I would be contacting Apple corporate about their horrible customer service, technical support, repair service, and the overall quality of this specific technicians work, hopefully resulting in the loss of his job.

GG Apple.