So I bought a 'Lamp' iMac...some questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GizmoDVD, Jun 17, 2012.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 65832

I picked up an old 'Lamp' model G4 iMac for about $50. It appears to be the last model, 17" 1.25ghz with DVD Drive I do have a few questions maybe some users here could help me with.

1. The clear plastic around the screen has little 'bubbles'. At first i thought they would just wash away (imaging if someone sneezed...that's what it looks like), but no matter how rough I get cleaning, they are still there. Is that just the nature of this model?

2. I'd like to upgrade the RAM. Now, I've already put a spare notebook 256MB PC2700 Ram stick in the bottom, but obviously the one inside would need to be replaced as well (it's desktop size?). Looks like I can max out at 2GB, which I will, but I wasn't sure exactly what RAM was needed for inside.

3. Is there a way to add Bluetooth to this model if it wasn't added via factory (I see it was an option according to everymac...but where would I buy the piece? I know mine does not have Airport installed).

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The bubbles are not normal. Could you post a picture of them?

The ram you need is one stick of laptop PC2700 1Gb and one desktop PC2700 1Gb. When replacing the internal desktop stick, you must reapply the thermal past to the two posts or it'll overheat. Also when you are inside of it, it might be a good idea to replace its PRAM battery. They are nearing the end of their set lifespan.

You can add the OEM Bluetooth, but it is a bit expensive and hard to find the needed things. It's better to use a USB Bluetooth dongle.

3. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65832

Thanks

How do I get inside? I have the correct Torq's to get inside my newer-style iMacs, but none of them worked for this one.

I'll probably just stick to a USB Bluetooth - if I even need it. The Magic Trackpads probably don't work to well since this maxes out at Leopard (it's currently running Panther!)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Once you remove the four Phillis screws from the bottom plate, you'll see four more Torx screws. I believe they are size T-8 or T-10. Forget which one at the moment.

5. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65832

I'll have to check around. Luckily the RAM for the internal is about $10.

PRAM Batteries are pretty cheap?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The batteries can range from $3 to $20 depending on where you get them.

7. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65832

Thermal paste sounds like a pain. Maybe I'll just install the 1GB Notebook RAM and call it a day. I doubt an extra going from 1.25GB to 2GB will make much of a difference on this.

8. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Speaking as someone who had that exact iMac a couple years ago, it takes next to no effort to apply the thermal paste. All you do is put a little dot of thermal paste on each point. When you reattach the bottom, it'll spread out onto the contact...that's it. I highly recommend you install the extra 1GB...you'll be glad you did.

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I used to have a Imac G4...i would take apart...you will probably find a lot of dust! Your Imac will then run cooler and quieter.

I did the whole max ram,and also installed a new ide drive...my contact points paste was old and black and cracked...i cleaned them and reapplied thermal paste (don't forget to do both side)

i used this side to help me...gl

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Upping RAM from 1.25 to 2GB will make a huge difference, especially running 10.5 If you will have it open, think about replacing HDD too. Stock HDDs weren't too fast. You can even use SATA HDD or SSD (via slim SATA->IDE adapter - look for one based on Marvell chip).
    It was a very good deal, congrats!

11. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

I would upgrade the RAM...as everyone has said, its pretty easy to do.

12. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65832

I've opened and upgraded many iMacs before (mostly the later G5/Intel models), but this one just seems more of a pain. I'd have to buy the paste ($10), Buy the Torqs ($10?), etc. Internal RAM looks to be about $8, so it's not so bad.

I'll probably do it though. Now I just need to find a cheap HDD. I know I still have my old 320GB from my 2008 iMac laying around, but it has the 'rails' stuck on it (little bars). If I could remove that, maybe I'll just dump it in. Don't feel like investing a whole lot of money into this

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2008 iMac's hard drive is a SATA one. The iMac G4 takes a PATA one.

14. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65832

Where's the best place to find a PATA?

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PATA drives, also called IDE/EIDE/ATA drives, can be found on most online retailers and other store based retailers. They are still made in sizes up to 500GB and 7200rpm. Your iMac can take any sized drive.

16. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I will be most interested to hear about the progress of your upgrade project. I have that model, except it is the 800 MHz model. It died a couple of years ago, and it is a coin flip if it is a power supply or logic board. I would suspect it is the power supply. I would love to get it running, I really liked it and it certainly was unique looking.

17. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

18. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

should work...only issue may be room...but if i rem my imac G4 had fair amount of extra room around drive area,as it's just placed ontop of cd/dvd...maybe best to take apart first to double check before you spend the $

on a side note,unrelated..im using my ibook g3 500 right now,and of the 3 main browsers safari,tenfourfox,camino...its no contest...camino is hands down winner as far as speed goes for this old ibook...

20. GizmoDVD thread starter macrumors 65832

So I got new RAM and a new PRAM Battery.

I opened the unit up, took out the 256MB, put in a 1GB. Also replaced the PRAM next to it. I reassmbled it, but a 1GB stick in the base booted it up....and it only recognizes the 1GB from the base and NOT the internal RAM. Now, I made sure to get the 184 pin, DDR 2700 and it fit like a glove....but, I must be missing something here. I took her apart and verified the RAM was clicked in.

Where exactly do I need to apply the thermal paste - and if i don't - is that the reason why it's showing that internal slot as empty? I wanted to make sure everything was good before applying it.

21. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Put the 256mb RAM back in and see if it recognizes 1.25 GB when it boots...if it does, something's wrong with your new RAM

22. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

23. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

I hope you get the answers you need, I just have 1 question: do you love it?

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ram you bought for the internal slot could be high density ram, but it'd still show up as only half as big. Make sure you properly seated it and if possible, try booting with only the internal ram installed.

The thermal paste goes on two metal points near the CPU's heatsink. The CPU's heatsink has two heat pipes coming out of it. You may have to scrape off the OEM black gunk first. If this paste isn't reapplied, the machine will overheat quickly.