So I bought another iPad...another iPad 1!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by katyoshi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

This may be a pointless thread to some people but after I sold my 64GB iPad 1 wifi only for $560 I bought on launch day last year, I purchased another 64gb iPad 1 but this time with 3G from a local AT&T store price matched to $529 with 2 months data for $25. If you ask me after playing with the iPad 2 at stores, I do see the speed difference and stuff, but all in all, I feel that for myself, the iPad 1 does the job. The iPad 2 is speedier, but not sure if I want to upgrade yet. Although the iPad 1 doesn't have AT&T's HSUPA and the iPad 2 does, it's still pretty quick in terms of data use. I used it all day at work and after work to do...a little more work. It seems like a good light duty mobile device. I'm writing this on my brand new AT&T iPad 1.

The thing is I had to call apple because while i was updating my osx, I was trying to update the iOS on my iPad at the same time and something went wrong and my iPad was stuck in the dfu mode I believe (picture of older iTunes logo and white connection wire pointing to it). I was anxious so I called AppleCare and told me that the warranty on the device expires soon based on purchase date. Luckily I just bought it that day and emailed a copy of my purchase receipt and they changed the purchase date to yesterday and now I still have the new apple warranty for new devices. On top of that, I had a $100 gift card on amazon and do I got myself a new apple case and again, AppleCare. I plan to keep this thing for a while actually because I was never disappointed with the original iPad. So if you buy your stuff from places other than apple, call AppleCare to make sure your purchase date is current and not from last year! Ok anyway, I was able to get it out of dfu restore mode through the sleep/home buttons and it was ok. Now it's running pretty old but I noticed the version before iOS 4.3 was more "stable" and loaded apps faster. :confused:

For AT&T data usage, I'd say it's been great. Now that I have the 3G data plan enabled, I feel compelled to use the iPad more since I'm paying for the data. One could say to do the same thing at home since I'm paying for road runner Internet. Anyway, I'm using my iPad and bringing it with more where ever i go more often except for obvious places like at nice restaurants. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the data plan since I'm planning to use the iPad everyday now at work and since there's no free public wifi available for us at hospitals.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Not much to say other than glad you like it :)

The iPad 1 is a great deal if you don't care about specs. I personally didn't get the 3G version and instead signed up for the iPhone tethering plan. I do agree though that without some way to use cellular data on opt he iPad, it seems a lot less mobile.

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The first iPad is still very nice. Just because Apple released a newer version doesn't make the old one worthless junk.

5. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it's pretty good. I like it how I'm always connected. I feel that's what the ipad is meant to be, like the iphone, always connected. :D I just don't feel guilty at all for buying this 3G ipad. Now my sister wants to go to the AT&T store tomorrow to buy the same thing. She said he friend wanted to save money and buy it refurbished for the same specs, but in reality, the friend paid more because I think it's more expensive on the apple website even though it's refurbished? Is it not? I got mine brand new...

6. acissej macrumors newbie

so why would the purchase date be different than when you bought it?