Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scrib

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I got my daughter a HomePod for Christmas. This will be the first HomePod in our house, it will be in her room.

Should I set it up under my iPhone? Having never set one up, I'm not sure the best way to got about this. She has a iPhone 6 that doesn't have cellular turned on, that could be used as the primary iPhone but not sure that's the best approach, she uses Apple Music on her phone. She is connected as a family member under my wife and I with iCloud.

I've done a search, didn't find anything that talks about kids and HomePods. Thanks much.

Scrib

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Pretty sure you can set it up and then add your daughter to the home app if you wanted to otherwise you can handle everything from your phone and she can still use it perfectly

I'm just wondering if I set it up under my AppleID, won't she have access to my music and my preferences? Ideally, I would want her to build her playlists and music preferences tied to her AppleID...

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Boy is she lucky! Warning though. The HomePod will make most other speakers sound like crap. I got a Black Friday deal on a UE MegaBoom for $99 (down from $249). I’ve always heard how awesome the sound quality of the MegaBoom is. I got home and did my first workout with it and all I could think was how it didn’t sound as good as my HomePod. The HomePod sound is significantly better. Especially in the base department.

I suppose in the MegaBoom’s defense, it’s battery powered. But still, the HomePod spoiled me.

Aussi3

Suspended
Jun 3, 2012
Facesticks on the App store
I'm just wondering if I set it up under my AppleID, won't she have access to my music and my preferences? Ideally, I would want her to build her playlists and music preferences tied to her AppleID...
So you can set it up under your id and have a different account for her Apple Music in the Home app if you share the same Apple Music then I’m pretty sure she will be under your preferences

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.