So I broke my iPhone. Can I wipe it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dee Ann, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Dee Ann macrumors member

I dropped my iphone 2g and the screen broke. It wouldn't see when you touch the display. :(

So I bought a new display and my BF changed it out for me. It sort of worked, for a while.
    Then today it no longer sees when you touch the bottom of the screen. You can't use the slider to unlock it anymore so there is NO WAY possible to even get into the phone anymore. :(

So I pulled the sim and put it back in my antique old crappy phone.

I bought a replacement iphone on ebay.

I can plug my iphone into my windows pc and sync it, download pictures, etc. but I can't get to anything through the touch screen at all anymore.

So, how would I back it up so that I can transfer everything into my replacement when it gets here? FYI, it IS jailbroken and unlocked, I use it on Centennial Wireless.

I WILL be unlocking & jailbreaking the replacement phone as soon as I get it. I refuse to go to crappy ATT network. ( Overpriced and over rated garbage. )

And most important of all, how can I totally erase *everything* from the broken phone so I can sell it on ebay?

I see LOTS of broken iphones for sale on ebay so I don't know why I can't sell this one, it has a brand new touch screen. I think it's just slightly mentally ill from being dropped.

Thank you! :)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can do a Restore in iTunes without needing to touch the screen. I don't know how to back up a JB device though.

3. Dee Ann thread starter macrumors member

Will that totally, 100% erase everything on it? :confused:
    There's private stuff on it that I don't care to share with some random ebay stranger when I sell it.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Restoring the phone will wipe the "drive" and reinstall it from scratch.

5. Dee Ann thread starter macrumors member

Cool! Thank you! :)

6. bks691 macrumors regular

I'm sorry to be the one to inform you that AT&T just recently bought Centennial Wireless :p

7. jomont97 macrumors newbie

similar situation

I am in a similar situation, except itunes is aking me to type a password into my phone .. My screen is cracked so I am not able to type my passcode. any tips on erasing without being able to type in a passcode ?? and .. no! the phone is not stolen .. I want to take it to the apple store to exchange it, just wanna make sure personal info is off

thanks.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Just do a system restore via iTunes. It wipes out everything.