So I call AT&T just now..... (sim card rant)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Sep 20, 2007.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I asked about the prepaid plans and the rep was helpful all the way up to the point where I said "I do not have a sim card, how do I get one for my phone?".

I purchased this iphone second hand and the owner kept his sim. The lady from AT&T on the phone says and I quote.... "you'll have to contact the apple store only, and get a new sim. There is no other way, and if you attempt to use any other sim it will fry the sim and possibly damage the phone. No other sim will work except the stock sim, damage WILL result".

:rolleyes:

Sooooooo that's where the help ended. Now I come to you..... I have never had AT&T service (SPRINT only). I have an Iphone, I need a SIM so I can hook up to Itunes and fudge the activation into prepaid and get it set up.

What are my options on finding an open (read:clean) Sim for my Iphone? Obviously I can contact apple, but are the people bypassing activation doing anything with the sims or are there just a wealth of sims laying around out there for my taking and I just haven't done the proper thing of asking someone for their unused sim?

I've been running unlocked on wifi with no sim and I have decided to do a small plan so I can have internet on the go without relying on wifi.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You could pick up a prepaid sim from walmart or anywhere if you do need to put in a sim card.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

At this point the question is do I need a specific SIM for this phone? I am not looking to use t-mobile or anything. I'm just fine running prepaid through AT&T. I have been influenced to think that these prepaid sims laying around will not work, or if they offer phone service will not offer internet connectivity.

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have a extar one if you need it:) from a iphone never used :)

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think if I went that route I could just do the prepaid activation the *cough* easy way. :rolleyes:

:)

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I think you should be fine if you use the prepaid sim to activate your iphone.