so.. i can keep a 3g iphone if i pay early termination fee after 30 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greentomato, Jun 17, 2008.

1. greentomato macrumors newbie

16g (299)+75(first month)+175(termination fee)=549??

do you think att would impose any other fee?

2. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

No other fees will be applied.

This is from an email ATT sent me.
    The return policy for the new 3G iPhone is 30 days for both Apple and AT&T stores. To cancel service within the first 30 days, you must return your equipment to the place of purchase. If you cancel after the 30 days, you will be charged the early termination fees and are not required to return the device.

Here is a link to the email from ATT
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=501955

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What are you going to do sell it? Count on taxes, the early termination fee should include the subsidized amount for the 3G iPhone, also activation fees are $36 in the USA, you'll pay two-month bill of $150 v. one-month $75, you'll also pay like a per day bill, plus all your personal information has been sold to third parties or partners, for outside marketing servicers, non-affiliates, joint marketers, affiliates, credit bureaus, credit card companies, finance companies, mortgage loan companies, securities broker-dealers, banks, leasing companies, electronic marketers without your consent or authorization, gosh, I hope I haven't left anything out. There's probably more charges, but I'm shooting blanks. LOL They can probably care less, there's gonna' be so many people standing in line and many of them will be in line to unlock and jailbreak while they are waiting, then slither out the front door. :eek:

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the other thing that will happen is you will be flagged in their systems, so the next time you try to get any kind of service with ATT whether it be another wireless plan, home service, long distance, whatever, they will see that you canceled a contract in the past and will probably ask you for a deposit for whatever services you are trying to get now.

in my opinion it isn't worth soiling your reputation with a company over a couple of hundred bucks.

5. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

This doesn't matter as long as you paid all the fees and your credit is good enough. They aren't going to hold it against you.

And yes if you buy a new phone activate then cancel it and pay all the fees you can keep your phone.

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

actually they do hold it against you, i know because when my roommate and i tried to get phone service back in college, and my roommate called sbc to hook it up they told him that a deposit was required, when we asked why we found out it was due to a cell phone contract he canceled early.

for those who don't remember SBC = PacBell = Cingular = ATT

7. chrisparr macrumors regular

You're right, because it's illegal for a company to change its policies isn't it :rolleyes:

8. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I canceled a Cingular contract back in the day then 2 years later got onto ATT and there were no stipulations. Maybe his credit wasn't good enough?

9. FlavaFlavez macrumors member

FlavaFlavez

He must have had bad credit. I bough the iPhone twice and canceled and returned it. Never had any issues when I got the second one. iPhone is great, ATT is just terrible here in southern NH. I would love to get the 3g iPhone, but no 3g coverage here yet. No point to get it until there is coverage.