Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
Although they are cheaper, the iPhone has better access to support (genius bar) and it's glass and aluminum, not plastic.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

Does Honda even offer a V8? Or a twin-turbo V6?

Thats a dumb argument...iPhone and Nexus don't have same components what so ever. Fail on your part.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Just preordered the tablet. I currently have ipad2 but find it pretty much useless as its too big for me. 7" is perfect size. Kindle fire was sized correctly for me but its performance was crap. Nexus 7 should be much better with Jelly bean.

As far as nexus $350 for unlocked no contract phone is a great price. If project butter helps with lag then I'm going to get it as well.

I agree that 7' is currently the correct size for tablets. 10' screen is just too damn big for portability. Jelly bean will definitely level the playing field and the price vs value will make it a landslide for the Nexus Tablet. (for educated customers).

Project butter seems to be the final tipping point that Android will overtake iOS. The main thing people would try to complain of is "iPhone is smoother", well not anymore it seems once project butter takes off :)

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Thats a dumb argument...iPhone and Nexus don't have same components what so ever. Fail on your part.

They don't use the same ARM technology, same RAM, same storage, etc? There might be some tweaks and some differences in screen and GPU but there's more that's similar than different.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
What did I just see? :confused:

The iPhone seems horribly HORRIBLY overpriced compared to the Galaxy Nexus.

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) = $350
Nexus Tablet = $199

Google makes Apple seem really greedy and price gouging customers too much.

Also don't forget that the Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and works with both AT&T and T-mobiles 3G bands to let customers choose the best deal (unlike Apple that locks you to one carrier)

Anyone gonna get more for your $ an go with the Galaxy Nexus + Nexus Tablet combo for $100 less than an iPhone?

How about $600+ unsubsidized Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) vs. $350 unlocked GNex? I'm sure Google is subsidizing part of the cost since it's made by Samsung and none of their flagship phones (incl SGII) costs below $500 unsubsidized.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

Also don't forget that the Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and works with both AT&T and T-mobiles 3G bands to let customers choose the best deal (unlike Apple that locks you to one carrier)

Anyone gonna get more for your $ an go with the Galaxy Nexus + Nexus Tablet combo for $100 less than an iPhone?

If you don't know how much it costs to manufacture an iPhone then why even make this thread? Maybe Samsung/Google are taking massive losses from this deal with each sale. Should Apple take losses on each sale just so they don't seem to you as greedy? C'mon, son.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
So the nexus tablet has half the resolution of my iPad 3. Not getting your point.

its dpi is not far off. 216 dpi vs about 260 for the ipad. The ipad 2 was only 130. 216 for a tablet is more than enough. The problem is that apple was forced to double the pixel density because of limitations to their OS. They had to make many compromises in heat and performance to due so. They also had to use a battery twice as large and still had worse battery life.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Should Apple take losses on each sale just so they don't seem to you as greedy? C'mon son

If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply? C'mon son.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I agree that 7' is currently the correct size for tablets. 10' screen is just too damn big for portability.

Wow, 7 ft screen is portable. :D Even at 7" it's not that portable unless you carry around a bag/briefcase/purse or you wear a suit. I did once fit my 7" tablet in shorts, but was way uncomfortable. I wouldn't call that portable.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
How about $600+ unsubsidized Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) vs. $350 unlocked GNex? I'm sure Google is subsidizing part of the cost since it's made by Samsung and none of their flagship phones (incl SGII) costs below $500 unsubsidized.

as a consumer i welcome it. its saving me money. Verizon is gouging as well on their unsubsidized prices just as they always did because they control what phone is on their network. GSM doesn't have this problem. As long as bands are compatible u can use it wherever u want and bravo goes to google for selling nexus at that price point. Consumers win.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply. C'mon son.

I don't think price gouging means what you think it means. If it did, Apple would be breaking the law. Charging a premium sounds more like what they are doing. And yet, we don't know the exact markup so it's all speculation.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply. C'mon son.

Google doesn't make money by selling physical products. It sells your info. If you feel that they gouge so much you are free not to buy their products. Simple.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
This is the stupidest thread ever. Just because something is more expensive does NOT mean its not a good deal. These products are not identical and the only person who would try to claim they are is someone who has never used both (or either!).

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Ordered the Nexus last night for $399. Hasn't shipped. They are going to credit me $50 since the price changed.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

ill sell you my gsm gnex for $250 just as soon as the new iphone comes out. I cant wait to get rid of it

battery life is terrible
gps is terrible
ICS has no consistency at all
build quality is, well, plastic
its terribly slippery
im still waiting on a ton of apps to be offered for ICS. that will get even worse in july with jelly bean

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
as a consumer i welcome it. its saving me money. Verizon is gouging as well on their unsubsidized prices just as they always did because they control what phone is on their network. GSM doesn't have this problem. As long as bands are compatible u can use it wherever u want and bravo goes to google for selling nexus at that price point. Consumers win.

Of course consumer wins. Who, other than the manufacturers, doesn't want cheaper phones. Duh! I don't think it's necessarily Verizon price gouging, but MSRP of the flagship phones are just expensive. Look at the cost of all the unlocked phones in Europe.

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland
Another useless thread comparing apples and oranges. No pun intended.

If you wanna pay less for a completely different product, and if it works for you, GREAT!

NOBODY CARES.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply? C'mon son.
The iPad is a very bad example of Apple price gouging, as other tablets of the same generation and similar size aren't coming in significantly under Apple's price.

As for the iPhone, for the majority of US folks that buy locked, subsidized phones (because there's no price incentive on their monthly bills for them to do otherwise), the iPhone price starts at $199. That makes the Galaxy Nexus 1.75x more expensive. I understand what "unlocked" and "contract free" mean, but I think they mean nothing to 99.5% of folks in the US, so the end result is that the method Google chose to sell the Galaxy (unlocked, contract-free) ends up gouging more money out of the consumers wallet than if they had chosen to sell it in the traditional method. It'd probably be free from carriers if they did that.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
you get what you pay for people...

with that extra money you are spending, you get a great warranty that you can easily go to the apple store/contact apple, and replace your phone/ipad. You get great tech support, great customer service, better security, solid cloud integration, OS updates, they arent spotty roll outs like ICS was., (*waits for raging complaints about no ipad1 ios6/lack of features on old devices), you get a phone that isnt plastic, the stock apps/software is great. high resell value, etc

yeah they are a bit pricey compared to others, but in my opinion i get my money worth.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
I can buy a brand new BMW for 40k or a new Honda for 20k. This BMW price gouging must stop!!!!!

How is that a fair comparison? BMW and Honda aren't in the same class of devices. The nexus and the iPhone are.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

The cost of the materials to build the 16GB iPhone 4S is about $180. That's just the materials. Are you naive enough to think that there is no other money invested in the building of the phone other than the cost of parts? If you want, I can list out for you every other step of the process that costs Apple money before the handset actually makes it to a vendor for sale to a customer.

We can then talk about the merits of your claims of greed and price gouging. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.