So i cooked tea for my parents

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by toolbox, Jun 30, 2009.

1. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hi all just wanted to hear everyones experiences. Since i moved out of home, i have been trying to learn how to cook for my self. I did this by going to mum and dads for tea and watching them or cooking it my self with there guidance but tonight i cooked it on my own.

I made thai green chicken curry. I enjoyed it alot and my parents also did enjoy it. Only gripe was i didn't cut enough bok choy

So what was the first experience you had when you cooked for your parents? Good / bad?

2. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Wow your effort sounds DELICIOUS. :) Your parents are lucky and must be very proud of you for learning to prepare a great meal.

First time I invited an aunt and uncle to my NYC apartment for dinner, my cat swiped most of a chicken breast off my uncle's plate (from a handy ambush spot beneath the coffee table). My uncle had gone to bring in another bottle of wine from the kitchen and the cat saw his opportunity and went for it. I was mortified because there was not enough chicken left to restock my uncle's plate...

Outside of those horrible few moments, it was fun. My uncle was gracious and dismissed the cat's theft as amusing. He and my aunt both liked the spicy rice and peppers that I had decided to serve, even though at their home I had noticed they mostly served non-spicy side dishes.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I've been cooking for my family since I was little; my brother and I each had a day per week that was our day to cook, and I think that started when I was around seven. Though I'm sure it sucked for them at first, it was great for us, because by the time we were teenagers, we had a repertoire and were comfortable in the kitchen.

But I had my family over for dinner about a week ago, and I made sausage, mushroom, and red pepper ravioli in Alfredo sauce. It went over really well, which made me happy, considering the fact that I came up with the recipe the night before and handmade ravioli for the first time. Family members are good guinea pigs. ;)

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Lol, I've never cooked for my family. I cook for myself, though, quite a bit, though a lot of the time using sauces from a jar or other pre-prepared ingredients.

I have quite specific tastes, and I'm vegetarian, so I'm not the person you want cooking a big meal :D

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I love to cook. I seldom cook for the rest of family (Dad's got some diet issues and Mom usually cooks for herself anyway).

I enjoy it, and on the times when I cook for the fam they seem to like it too. They say I'm pretty good, but I guess it's all the basic stuff: Caprisian Panini, Scallops in a White Wine Reduction, et al. Not that complicated.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Congrats...

Last time I tried cooking for the oldies, I accidentally set alight the kitchen! Almost burnt the entire house down!! :rolleyes: My father, dashed to the phone and called the fire brigade to extinguish the bellowing flames. Then, I got barred from cooking in their home. Now it's sometime my family laughs about... :(

I blame the wok!! That turbo feature is scary as hell!

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

On an early saturday morning, I woke up, and saw nobody was home.

Called my parents, asked them when will they be back, around 11.

Well, around 10:45, I made some eggs, and laid the whole breakfast table all nice and stuff.

They came home at 1:30.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That makes me so sad... :(

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lol; these things happen.

That sounds delicious. We had a sort of similar set up when I was a kid (well, teenager, to be more accurate) as both my parents worked, so the upshot of it is that now I am a very good cook, and both of my brothers are too. We discuss recipes (among other matters) by email, and exchange tales of new dishes we've tried.

Cheers

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I live on my own now (I'm 22) but I used to cook all the time when I lived with my parents. It's good that I got used to it since it means I don't eat fast food and pre-cooked meals all the time, like most of my friends in college.

When my mom comes to visit me I like to cook something nice for her but she misses me so much that she wants to pamper me and doesn't want to let me do anything. :p

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm in college and cook reasonably often. I really like to cook and hopefully will get some more opportunities this year as I'll be living in an apartment with 3 other guys who don't necessarily cook much.

I'm actually working in a restaurant for the summer...though as a waiter not in the kitchen :p Even so being around the kitchen and food so much is giving me a lot of ideas!

12. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I have had to cook since I was about 10. My Parents at the time both worked until about 7pm so it was up to me and my brother to cook.

Happy to say from my experience I would let any kid cook. More often than not it is eatable.

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Both of my parents are good Southern cooks so I learned a lot from them. We come from the experimenting is normal and recipes are optional school of thought. I don't remember the first meal I ever made for them because I was very young and food is a pretty big part of our lives. My brother in law is a chef and food is a central part of our interaction. You couldn't imagine what Thanksgiving is like for us. "Enough food to feed an army" is an understatement. As far as my own cooking goes I enjoy making all kinds of stuff and of course being the "man of the house" means I'm the designated "grill master." Food is definitely one of life's great pleasures and being able to make your own is very satisfying. :)

14. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

Indeed it is, i know i felt proud of what i had done when we finished eating.