So I deleted my old partition and can't create a new one........

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by USNASarge, Aug 14, 2009.

1. USNASarge macrumors newbie

Hi,

Please HELP!!!!! I had a smallish (20 GB) windows XP partition created using boot camp beta on OS X Tiger. The I updated to Leopard, no issues, still could access and use my old partition. Now I am at school, and wanted to upgrade to Vista.....Partition was too small. Easy fix right? I opened Bootcamp and used it to "delete" my old partition and turned around to create a new one immediately. Got the "Disk could not be partitioned because some files could not be moved. Use DIskUtility to repair/restore volume to a Mac OSX Journaled Volume" (I paraphrased a bit). So I thought that I needed to erase my drive and reinstall Leopard. I did, angering my wife (forgot to backup the address book and our bookmarks, and hadn't used Time Machine yet, stupid, I know). Now when I try to create a partition I get THE EXACT SAME MESSAGE!!!!!!!! What did I not do? I used the OSX install disk and selected "erase harddrive and install OSX" option. I don't know what else to do!!!!!

Ignorant and Dangerous on a MacBook Pro

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Using the Leopard install disc, access Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Select the hard drive, then go to the Partition tab. Add a partition, then set the Volume Scheme back to 1. Before clicking Apply, click on options, make sure its using the GUID Partition Table, then click Apply. Then reinstall Leopard. Make sure you backup Address Book by exporting to an archive file, and also export the bookmarks from Safari from the File menu to an HTML file.

3. USNASarge thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I understand correctly, I will NOT be using bootcamp to create the Windows side? Or do I do what you said and then use bootcamp to install Vista?

4. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

How's he going to back them up if he already Erased and Installed?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@ LTX: I meant to say for future reference.

@ USNASarge: You still will create a Boot Camp partition with Boot Camp Assistant. What I'm advising in Disk Utility will make sure you have fully reverted back to one complete partition with the correct partition map before you reinstall the Mac OS. By extension, when you try to recreate a partition using Boot Camp Assistant, it should no longer give you the error message. Before you recreate the Windows partition also make sure you update to OS 10.5.8.

6. USNASarge thread starter macrumors newbie

@ LTX You sound like my wife! Hahahahah, sorry. She was POed!!!!

@ Jedi Sorry for being such a newb, how do I use the leopard install disk to access Disk Utilities? I put the disk in, it opened up automatically, but the only options I see are Install Mac OS X, Optional Installs, and Instructions. When I use spotliht the only disk utility I can find is my application, located on the Hard Drive.

7. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

:p

Shut down the Mac and boot from the install DVD by holding the "C" key immediately after hitting the power button, and let go when you get this screen and you hear the DVD drive making noise:

[​IMG]

When that's done loading, choose a language and you'll be able to access the Utilities menu on the top to follow JediMeister's instructions.