So I DIDN'T lose my unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Before the iPhone launch, I mentioned I was selling my iPhone 3G about a week in advance and was going to put my SIM in an old Razr phone in between.

There was a LOT of talk from a bunch of "chicken littles" who were saying that everyone who used another phone would have their unlimited data taken off their account by AT&T. Many said they had spoken to "some guy at AT&T" who assured them that this would happen, as the system does it automatically.

Guess what? I still have unlimited data. Guess what else? So do all the other people.

I'm not really just trying to gloat, but I'm trying to point out yet again that you can't trust employees to know what the hell they are talking about, and I'm also trying to point out that you can create all the doomsday disaster scenarios you want, but most of them won't come true.

Anyone else NOT lose their unlimited data? How long did you use another phone?

2. juicexct macrumors member

you would only lose the data if the IMEI# was changed to show the temporary phone in the AT&T system.

3. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I know that. Many of us were trying to tell people this repeatedly, but a few fear mongers were trying to convince everyone that AT&T's system would automatically scan for dumb phones and drop the data from the plan, and then we would never get it back.

As I said then, why would they intentionally remove a $30 charge from my account if I didn't ask them to? Apparently they don't like money and they are only out to screw us.

:)

4. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

not true. i lost my 3gs at the beginning of may, went into the att store got a $30 phone, changed it in the sys. Activated my iphone on launch day, still have my unlimited

5. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Wow! Even better. That is one situation where I would think you WOULD lose the unlimited.

So I guess we can surmise that AT&T is not necessarily trying to trick everyone into losing unlimited, then. Shocking! :)

6. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I've had my SIM in my nexus one months prior to getting my iPhone 4 and I signed up for unlimited data once again.

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Anyone that already had an unlimited data plan would only lose it if they voluntary chose to go with tiered data otherwise they were grand fathered.

8. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

I called before the deadline to make sure I'd still be on unlimited.
    Note: I was still paying for the data charge during the month of may and june

9. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

You can keep it as long as you don't change your plan. If you buy another phone and don't change your contract, you're good.

10. twigg macrumors member

Untrue. I swapped sims with my N-Gage (yes, the taco phone) and a generic phone showed up as my phone on my account. I still have the unlimited data plan. AT&T would have a **** storm on their hands if they removed it from peoples account without their permission.

11. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

When I got my iPhone 4 launch day the guy setting me up said: "You of course want unlimited right?" I said of course. He told me they were given the option to add it to EVERYONE getting an iPhone 4 regardless of what phone they were coming from or if they were new customers.

He showed me his iPod touch Point of Sale program, when he said that it looked like that was the case. Mind you this is what he was telling me, whether it was true or not I have no clue.