So I don't have a $200 Paper Weight

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Spankey, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Phew...reading all these initial posts without many using this device had me plenty scared. I thought I'd be taking this thing back in a day or two.....Not happening! It's great!

I am watching on a 2016 LG 65E6 OLED that was professionally calibrated for SD, 3D and HDR. As mentioned earlier these sets do not allow for Dolby Vision calibration.

The Apple TV immediately asked if I wanted to try HDR and I clicked yes, setting the box to 4k HDR 60hz.
    I could immediately tell the color was off, but since that input never used HDR I had to choose my HDR user settings. Immediately the UI came to look as it always did. Not blown out at all.

The last few nights I have been watching bits of Creed. Obviously in 1080P. It is listed in iTunes as Dolby Vision. I could immediately see the color pop the way it hadn't before. Switching to Mad Max:Fury Road colors matched the 4k Blu-ray. It does seem that movies in Dolby Vision are being out put at the HDR mode your set is capable of.

On to HDTV (1080/720P). Directv Now looks very good. I mainly watched some hockey, MLB Network and HGTV as these are usually my best looking channels. Remember the set was calibrated for HDR so standard def is very close. If anything there may be a little more pop to the picture that is almost more realistic. If I have one nibble is that sometimes the up conversion to 4k may ever so slightly smear fine objects with fast movement. You almost have to look for it though.

Pluses and minuses

Pluses
    1. Great 4k PQ
    2. Screen Savers are THAT much better in 4k HDR
    3. Movies with Dolby Vision will play in the mode your set is capable of.
    4. Lightning fast. Apps loaded up in what felt like seconds.
    5. Overall better PQ than ATV 4 which was pretty great.
    Minuses
    1. As discussed ATV does not switch refresh rates on the fly.
    2. Some very minor smearing up converting 1080/720P
    3. Blacks are a little crushed viewing 1080\720P in HDR mode
    4. Professional TV calibration is highly recommended.
    I'm really struggling to find issues..Relieved and delighted.

2. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Sorry I don't understand you say you LG is in HDR mode yet displays dolby vision - On my LG that is a different mode than HDR...Can you clarify that it switches or remains in HDR...Everyone else says it doesn't switch...

3. Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. They are two different modes. What happens is that the Apple TV permanently puts the set in 4k HDR. Once its set there it doesn't change. If you play a Dolby Vision movie it is still shown in HDR. The Dolby Vision HDR signal is passed through as HDR.

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Hmm then it is not shown in Dolby Vision it is shown in HDR....That is exactly what the problem is ;)

5. archer75 macrumors 68020

That is incorrect. Dolby vision shows as dolby vision. Not HDR. Two different things. The LG can't do Dolby Vision in 4k 60hz. It has to be 30hz or 24hz.

6. Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn’t say it could do Dolby Vision in 4K 60hz. I said it is locked to HDR. Dolby Vison movies are still in HDR when played.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    But the 2016 LG’s can’t be calibrated for DV so essentially better to watch in HDR mode.

7. Macrecon macrumors newbie

It depends. Many movies on iTunes are DV Only. It your mode is set to 4k60 HDR the movie will “not” be in HDR. You need to change to a DV mode?

Netflix on the other hand had both DV and hdr10 in parallel so they will play on HDR10 mode instead.

8. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

No thank you. I much prefer Dolby Vision. It is just fine as it is. Besides you are evading the point and shifting those goal posts.

You are not watching Dolby Vision when at 4k/60 in HDR mode. First the refresh rate is wrong for the source material and secondly it simply isn’t Dolby Vision.

9. Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, I am not saying that I am watching Dolby Vision. I am watching HDR. As long as a movie listed as Dolby Vision is output in some form of HDR with my current set it’s fine.

10. Tarheels23 macrumors member

Tarheels23

You guys are confusing each other and making it more difficult than it has to be.

How about stop forcing HDR/DV unless available. If your display is capable of playing DV and if a particular movie offers DV, change the mode to 4K DV 60hz, 24hz for those with the ‘16 LG Oleds.

And the speed of this thing is really impressive. I’m amazed at how fast it gets in and out of Apps. Good job Apple, but bad idea letting us on knuckle heads choose our own refresh rates.

11. Spankey, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. That is the biggest issue. Having the set permanently be in one HDR mode at all times is silly. Right now I’m keepinG the Apple TV set to 4K SDR unless I’m going to watch a movie or show in HDR. I’ll manually change refresh rate and mode but it should not be this way.

12. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. It is still HDR and I’m cool with that.

13. Bokes macrumors 6502

When I played a Dolby Vision title from iTunes- my Oled G6 picture mode settings gave me a Dolby Vision setting choice of VIVID/LIGHT/DARK

VIVID was default and looked very bad.
    I went with Dark for now.
    Anyone know the difference between LIGHT and DARK DV setting?

14. Macrecon macrumors newbie

Many claim that Dark is the mode Dolby recommends. Even though is not he most vivid.

15. Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

If your set can be calibrated for DV, then spend the money and get it done if its a long term investment. Until then pick which looks best to you.

16. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

I don’t have mine yet but it sounds like an attempt to compensate for ambient light in a simplistic way. DV and HDR10 are theatrical masters (mastered for dark, theatrical settings). They’ve given users a way to bump the curve without a lot of monkeying around. I’ll have to see it to really commment. Also sounds like VIVID mode is just a color pumping setting. I’d avoid that personally.