So, I dont want to return my new Macbook but...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cbster, Oct 27, 2008.

1. cbster macrumors member

First off I would like to get this out in the open.... I LOVE my new MacBook. I have owned MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and an iMac in the past; none of them have wowed me as much as the New MacBook. After seeing Jobs show them off, I knew I had to have one. So, I sold my less than 1 year old Imac 2.8 extreme (which i got an unbelievable deal on in the 1st place and I didn't lose any money on) and went to the local Apple store and layed down for a 2.4 MacBook.

After reading all of the complaints on these forums, I immedately checked my Macbook out.

Is the battery cover loose? Yes
    Are my function keys crooked? Yes
    Does my trackpad misaligned? Yes
    Does my mouse cursor sometimes seem to move by itself? Yes
    Does the screen look washed out? Yes (although after loading in ptsube calibration it was much better!)

But even after all of these flaws (most of them minor), I decided that I am not going to return mine. I knew what i was getting myself into when I bought a rev A product. I was still wowed by all of the great features that it does have. All in all, it is still a great machine.

But alas, we come to the straw that broke the camels back....

Today, a cd that I bought off of ebay came in. To my surprise, it was actually in mint condition. It was a 2 disc set, so I loaded the 1st disc into itunes and imported - no problems. I then proceeded to load in the 2nd disc into the so called "super drive", and it just grinded and grinded away. So i think to myself "Damn ebay, sold me some junk disc!, theres no way my $1700 otd Macbook has a bad "superdrive". So I load my cd into a 2 year old MacBook Pro that my wife uses and it played perfectly. Ofcourse, I tried it a few times but with the same result.

So now I have to go back to the Apple store, talk to one of the geniuses and try to swap it out for a new one.

Overall, I know this is to be expected with a first release. I think I just needed to vent....

2. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Well, I'm glad that the broken SuperDrive finally brought you to your senses! :p :D

3. cbster thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know. I just didn't want the little cosmetic things to ruin the entire notebook.

I called the apple store, and they said for me to bring in my macbook and the cd so they can check it out. I'm just not in the mood to go there right now.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like that cosmetic issues didn't force you to return it. I returned mine due to the screen. That is not cosmetic to me.

Hopefully they'll simply just swap it out for you.
    My return turned into a 4 hour ordeal ... getting it ready to go, driving there in traffic on Pacific Coast Highway, then back because I realized I had forgotten about my ram upgrade, then back again ... now I am finally getting to eat my steak and sweet potato and soon enough I can have my shower. What a long freaking day that ended in such glory (full refund via store credit).

5. cbster thread starter macrumors member

What was going on with the screen? Dead pixels?

Are you going to get a new one with the store credit?

6. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I took issue with the quality of the screen. For me it was hard to watch a movie, which is something I would normally do on it. Check my posts and you'll see. Specifically http://www.flickr.com/photos/butimjessica .

It was just me, I mean, you all see different so it may not bother you at all. I was given store credit. I think the kid would have given me a full refund on my credit card but I elected to just take the store credit. I'll be buying the Rev B Air in November hopefully just in time for my trip back to NC and then a Rev B MacBook. NOTHING beats that damn unibody design and that trackpad. The trackpad is sextastic and nearly worth excusing that ***** display.

8. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

When you're paying this much money for something, there's nothing wrong with having high standards. I have completely different expectations of a $1500+ Apple notebook than I do of a $400 Dell.

Or maybe I'm just venting because I've spent the last two days in Apple Hell. Gah! :D

9. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Ah, Pacific Coast Highway!!! Took a biking trail up and down that hehe....

Can't wait to move back out to California.

Sucks that you have a four hour drive though. I'm about 20 minutes away from the Apple Store in Memphis.

10. indisguise macrumors member

I would just get it exchanged for a new one. I was really worried that mine would have some of those problems when i ordered it, but when it arrived it was flawless.

11. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Im 4/4 or 5/5. I cant remember but I do know this ive had major flaws on every MacBook and im not talking about slanted keys or a slightly off battery cover.

12. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Me too. 5/5.

13. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I have officially given up though. Im going back to my cheap Dell which has a perfect screen and finish although I hate the computer and Vista. You think Apple would have this right, but what do I know?

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It's 30 min give or take depending upon traffic and people. ;) The whole ordeal took 4 hours.

Interesting, I'm leaving ... you're coming. I know a great place to rent if you're interested. ;) House not apartment. I'm sure my landlord would love me if I found a replacement. He pretty much relies on the rent from this place.