So I dropped my Macbook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icianom, Nov 25, 2011.

1. icianom macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro, unibody 2008, and I dropped it on its corner. It was in my backpack which wasn't zipped up fully. Needless to say it flopped out to concrete and fell on its corner, where the HDD is.

I haven't noticed any performance issues, but a massive one is that some shades of white appear with red/pink lines.

All I want to know, if anyone can tell me, is how severe is the damage. I have no insurance and the laptop is well out of warranty. If I show the generic Lion wallpaper there is no colour issues, just on white or greys.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don;t have the money to replace the laptop.

Attached Files:

2. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

And everything turns upside down too? Wow.
    Did you try calibrating the color?

3. swimminmatt macrumors newbie

I think we have all dropped our MBPs at least once.

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

:eek:

Uh... no.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I hope you're joking. Calibrating color on something like this is really just adjusting a display profile. You may be able to get it back closer to a normal look, but it will never be perfect. If you were adjusting the magenta enough to cover that cast, you'd run into other issues once it's done (banding or residual color effects).

I will think on this. I can't think of any way to adjust a specific system level color lookup off the top of my head.

6. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Eek. I had the same thing happen 2 days ago. My heart goes out to you. I got ridiculously lucky though. I appear to have no cosmetic or performance issues, but mine fell on a rubber surface which may have been its saving grace.

7. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

I have a 2011 15" MBP that had the exact same problem (didn't drop it or anything, the display just started acting up one day) and had to have the screen replaced by Apple. However I wonder if it was just a loose cable or something. Have you opened it up to see if maybe the display cable came loose from the impact?

8. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Never

Dropped any of my stuff....I'm careful;)

10. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

My wife drops her 13" all the time. But from the coffee table to the carpeted floor and her MBP wears a Speck shell. So far no visible damage and no signs in performance. Maybe she is just blessed?

11. nicklad macrumors 6502

Before you panic, I've seen exactly the symptom your screenshots are showing before and it turned out to be a loose connection.

12. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

My second biggest fear, right after spilling water on it.

Definitely a hardware problem. Not a display problem. Open up the bottom of it and look for loose connections or pay someone to do so.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using a laptop since the venerable powerbook days and I've yet to drop one. I'm not saying I'll never but I'm wicked careful and so far that care has paid off for me.

14. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

I knew you were from mass by reading your response lmao :p

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wicked funny what gave it away ;)

16. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

No, I'm not.

Did you try it? Or anything? Reasoning is good, but not good enough. Try.

If I were you, I would have tried everything I would think of.

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

18. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It is almost certainly a hardware issue. It will be the graphics (unlikely) or the display. It sounds like the display cable may be loose/damaged. If you are savvy see if you can reseat the cable (look on ifixit for instructions). There's a reasonable chance that will fix it.