So I finally joined the iPhone craze... Now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cosmichobo, Oct 11, 2011.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

With the announcement of the 4S, my telco started offering the 3GS for $29/month with $180 included calls and 200MB of data - $1 less than my current plan with a crappy non-smart phone.

So I got one.

Now what?

Sure, it's a pretty phone... (love its aesthetics much more than the 4-generation) and I can use it to browse the net (which I do at home on my wireless network... as 200MB ain't gonna go TOO far)

But what amazing things am I missing out on here?

(Ok, so even BEFORE I got my first Mac, I had a friend who kept making up floppy disks full of apps and fonts and sounds etc etc etc... I guess I need someone to point me to some of the "fun" stuff)

So far the only 2 things I've added are the IMDB app, and the Optus (telco) usage/bill paying app...

cheers

cosmic

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

We've Had So Many

of this type of thread, and they are very hard to answer....Basically there are free apps, paid for apps..apps for just about everything.

I don't know what sort of things you enjoy, but I will give you to free starters.

open the App store on your phone and search for the free NASA app (you can save the pictures watch video etc)

TuneinRadio Pro.

Radio from around the world that you can record save etc.

Two to get you going.....:)

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Congrats on your 1st iPhone !

First try to improve your data bundle.

Their are thousands of good apps and equally gimmicky ones.

Their are threads regarding people's must have apps so I would suggest you perform a search.

You will enjoy using it as a phone and computer. Lots of people now use their iPhone more than their mac/pc.

It won't belong before your throwing angry birds around , tweeting and facebooking on the go and using it as your primary iPod.

Enjoy.

4. guch20 macrumors 6502

guch20

Welcome!

I've never used a 3GS, so I'm not aware of its limitations compared to the newer iPhones. I know that (unlike some other phone OS's I could mention) Apple keeps it up to date with the latest updates even though it's more than two years old.

Anyway, the App Store is the largest app market in the world, and it's not loaded with viruses and wallpaper apps (again, unlike some others). With all these apps, your phone is basically anything you want or need it to be.

Do you like games?

Do you have a Netflix account?

Do you like to read (iBooks works amazingly well on iPhone, though it was originally built with the iPad in mind)?

You can learn a new language, you can look up recipes, you can listen to and download any number of songs, you can tweet your current whereabouts, you can edit movies (iMovie), you can go on Facebook, you can explore the universe...

With hundreds of millions of apps, and dozens of new ones daily (many free), your adventure has just begun and can continue for a long, long time.

Enjoy!

5. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

6. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Ahh so I found the "top 25 free" games list... downloaded a few of them, inc an arcade game... Temple Hunter.... or something... I'm happy. :p

I've seen someone on YouTube with a Doctor Who theme for iPhone... but I guess my nerdiness doesn't necessarily need to extend to the iPhone... passed maybe a WHO ringtone, which thanks to Google I've learned how to do on my own...

I'm on a 2 year contract... so the data isn't going to change any time soon. Data here in Oz sucks. Though I probably could have done better, it would have cost more, and the only reason I bought into the contract was that it was the same/$1 less than my existing non-smartphone deal.

If I had bought the phone 2 years ago, I think I'd have jailbroken it without question... but at this point I can't see much reason... Or do you have some particular suggestions, drenline?

cheers