so i finaly bought applecare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrweirdo, May 16, 2007.

1. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I just finally bought applecare for my macbook last night making use of my edu discount. This is actually the first time i have ever bought any kind of an extended warranty for any electronics product. Also the only reason I did is I have had in just about the first year of my macbook had it in at least 4 seperate times so I was a bit worried about what the future has in store for this book. also right now I seem to have a magsafe that wont light up at times so I'm thinking its going need a replacement soon.

Hopefully I wont have to use applecare but if that case it seems kind of a bad investment as I could have spent the same $200 on a nice 500gb external drive :D

Even with the edu discount I am still of the belief that applecare is slightly over priced for what it is(basicly a 2 year extension at $100 or more per year to be paid upfront). I think apple should lower the price a bit even if it was $50 or so they would get more interest it in from those who were on the fence like me.

How many people here have actually benefited from applecare? what are your thoughts on the pricing/plan length itself? Have any of you not bought applecare and wished you had?

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I can't speak for AppleCare in particular, but I had a Dell desktop that I bought years and years ago and there was an option to get a 2 or 3 year warranty that I passed up and sure enough after a year of having a perfect machine, everything went wrong. My CPU fan died, leaving an ugly error message that would come up whenever the computer was started (still does that today), both disk drives got messed up and got stuck, the ribbon cord connecting one of the drives died, etc. It got pretty ridiculous and I wished I had the warranty. I plan to get AppleCare with a MBP that I plan to buy soon.

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I feel that I don't need AppleCare for my mac. My mac is going strong still. I will feel if I bought AppleCare, I wouldn't need it and it would be wasted money.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Computers are just too complex not to get an extended warranty. AppleCare is one of the best and because it transfers with the computer, it will definitely boost the computers resale value.