Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Out in the garden today, my father happened to dig up a mole (I'm fairly certain it's a baby given the size of moles in KY). Of course, there's no way to just let it go (part emotional stuff, part dad not wanting moles in his garden), so the question is, what do I do? What does a mole eat? What should I keep it in? Stuff along those lines. Right now, as you can see, he's in a jar with a penny for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 7,140

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The little guy is pretty much @#^$=d.

If it's a baby still nursing it needs its mother's milk, and it's gonna die.

If it is weaned, it needs live worms and small bugs, which it only knows how to catch and eat underground, so it's gonna die.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Sorry, but CanadaRAM is correct.

It was as good a dead when your Dad removed it from it's habitat.

Step on it (harsh but quick), or flush it (lingering death).

iToaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I tossed it back out into the wilderness to let nature take it's way. Seeing as I've never read a successful mole keeping story (I hardly even found one), I figured he'd be best out in the wild, so that's where he is now.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
"The American Pygmy Shrew is almost completely blind" - Wiki.

And they are very ugly too, with 2 big teeth.

I think that is a mole, poor thing.
cry1qe8.gif

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I squished one with my truck last week. I don't think it felt a thing, I was around 60k pounds when contact was made.

I had a squirrel play chicken with me today at 62mph. The bugger went under the front of my truck, I saw it run away from the side. Lucky little creature!

Almost got a deer this morning too. Turns out the airhorn scares them. Now I have another reason to use my airhorn :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've never seen a mole in real life. Only saw my first badger about a year ago, poor thing had been hit by a car on a road going over the moors. Bloody massive thing too, hate to bump into a live one!

So living in the countryside doesn't help. I've probably seen the same amount of wild animals as any inner city resident.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
My dog is so cute with moles! This time of the year he frantically digs looking for them, but he is such a pacifist, the two times he has gotten to one, he has gently picked it up in him out and set it back down on the ground so gently like he's carrying a baby. He also chases bees! So cute.

Loveforlife

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
You should not kill it. They are a threatened species. People every where are killing them for the sake of their yards and gardens. It's not their fault they are just trying to live. It is possible to keep them as pets. I have a pet mole. I love him to bits. I keep him in a big plastic bin with top soil. Not fertilized top soil! Chemicals will kill him or her. That's another reason they are dying off. They eat earth worms. I go and buy the night crawlers from local stores. They are used for bait when fishing. They also have a life span 3-6 years. I saved mine from being eaten by my cat. I also take him with me to places and some people get a real kick out of him. Mine is still small. He loves tunneling and eating. Mole love to eat and they can eat a lot. Mine eats about 5 worms a day. And you cant stock pile worms because they die to quickly. I feel my mole is better off with me then where he was. He was just a pup (which are what a baby is called) when I found him. If you don't what him call local wild life reserve. They will take care of him or her. The mole is just trying to live its life. And everyone should remember you can alway kill something but you can't bring it back.

----------

I finished reading the rest of the post on this and saw some doubt on weather it was a mole or a shrew. A mole has flat paddle like front paws with long nails.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.