So I found a working 2013 Macbook Air in the trash/LCD Backlight Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hopejobscash, Jan 24, 2016.

1. hopejobscash macrumors newbie

I happened to be walking down a street and found a mid 2013 Macbook Pro someone had thrown out. I didn't expect anything to work on it. The bottom panel was detached and seriously dented. I booted it as soon as I got home and it turned on! However at first it seemed as though the battery didn't hold a charge and the backlight for the screen is completely dead. I managed to reset the admin password and noticed that the cable from the battery to the logic board had been detached. So I plugged that back in and the battery works! From what I can see, everything else works too (wireless card, ports etc.). What a find!

Now the only thing that remains non-functioning is the screen. I'm using an external LCD which works fine, but I'm hoping I can turn this former piece of garbage into a fully functioning laptop. I'm wondering, does anyone know how I can repair this screen and is there a possibility that it's simply another cable that's become detached. As a reference, there is no physical damage to the screen that I can see. It's fully intact and it works, with the exception of the backlight. I'm thinking it could be a logic board problem too (hopefully that's not the case), but either way I'm ecstatic to find a near fully functioning laptop.

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I'd say find some repair shops in your city and call around for a price. Indeed, an excellent find.

If push comes to shove, hook up an external drive and it'd make for an awesome little Mac Mini-esque home server.

3. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

Nice find! In this case I think iFixIt is going to be your friend.

4. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Probably thrown out because the screen was toast.

5. volcomvenom macrumors 65816

volcomvenom

Nice, good for you! My neighbor recently gave me a mac mini with a dead hard drive, I replaced it with a 240gb ssd and since I did that the machine is powerful enough for what I need it for. Thank you Patrick (my neighbor).

6. hopejobscash thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys. A quick update, I ended up getting a pretty decent deal on a logic board repair from a local shop. It's now a fully functional laptop and in great shape!

7. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

thats freaking sick dude nice find

8. Easttime macrumors 6502

Awesome. I got a MacBook from one of our kids who discarded it because it was flakey and missing a key. I replaced the hard drive after reading up on the procedure, bought OSX, and got the Genius Bar to help me flash the OS to it while on a business trip, then got a new key from somewhere on the net. The thing has worked fine for three years through all the subsequent OSX updates.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Check voltage on pins 3-4 of LCD connector. What do you get? 0v means usually blown fuse, 8v means blown feedback via most times,bad bkl_en resistors, bad led driver. over 30v means someone screwed up replacing the screen and didn't plug the backlight ribbon in.

edit, just read that you already replaced the board. :(

what did you do with the old board?