So I gave in, ordered my first TomTom device.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NotFound, Jul 25, 2008.

1. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

[​IMG]

So, since I am moving off for college in August (and horrible about driving in new places) I gave in and ordered a TomTom XL 330 S. Does anyone have experience with TomTom devices?

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Both my dad and brother have one, they love it. Works great as far as I know although we don't have any other GPS devices to compare.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'd say great choice if you lived in the EU. TomTom's basemaps and mapping vendor are stronger in Europe than in NA. Garmin's got more complete & accurate coverage here. For basic purposes, though, it should be just fine.

4. NotFound thread starter macrumors 6502a

NotFound

That's comforting. I've been researching the devices and I'm hopeful this was the right choice. I'll post some pics and initial reactions, likes/dislikes when it gets here. Ordered from CDW.

I had a tough time deciding between the two, if worst comes to worse I suppose I can just return and reorder a Garmin? I won't be using this for extreme travel, just basic purpose.

5. bep207 macrumors 6502

i really hope the iPhones GPS evolves into something more like Tom Toms than garmins

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Major differences? I have a Garmin Nuvi, and other than a couple minor annoyances (the "I won't sue Garmin if I crash my car while using this thing" screen at bootup, and it won't automatically go to the map when I turn it on, I have to push a button) there's really not anything I would change about it.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Accept, or Decline. [​IMG]

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I get that on my TomTom as well. It was a pain but I finally found the latest OS X software for the TomTom and it has been working fine for me since. Always backup your TomTom and check for the latest map for your area.

I even get a signal indoors. :D

I think it's the best $137 I've spent on a gadget.

10. NotFound thread starter macrumors 6502a

NotFound

But does a paper map give you turn-by-turn voice navigation? :eek:

Price wasn't an issue.

11. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

While driving down to Georgia from Ohio, to help my brother move to Atlanta, we had a Magellan. It broke 20 minutes into the ride, the screen just went completely gray and it was useless. He bought a Garmin C530 and it was decent. There is a company that makes one where you actually see a picture of the street your driving on, but I forget the company's name, although I think it begins with a V.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My Magellan, my friends Garmin, and my mom's Range Rover Sport all think there is a KFC in a neighboring town. The town is this backward hillbilly town where there is actually only 1 business, a general store thats been there for a hundred years. I once followed the directions, it turns out its some drug dealing family's house that chased me down. Long story short, GPSs don't know everything.

13. NotFound thread starter macrumors 6502a

NotFound

lol, well I guess it's a good thing I don't live in a backwards hillbilly town.

14. cube macrumors G5