so i go to geek squad today...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by casey37812, Apr 9, 2009.

1. casey37812 macrumors newbie

i enter best buy to get a new harddrive cause i only have 10gb and i go to geek squad and i get this kid who knows nothing about computers.
    i probably knew more than him and i know nothing.
    anyways...
    i ask if they can put a new HD into my powerbook titanium running 10.4.11
    he asks me if i have the software cds i say no.
    if i had software cds i could do it by myself.
    wouldnt you think that geeksquad would have tiger installation cds?
    should just wait a few months till i get my new macbook or is there a way i can put a new HD in without the software cd. this laptop is not worth buying tiger.

2. chriszzz macrumors 6502

The same thing would have happened if you walked in with a computer running Windows XP. They can't install an OS which you do not have the discs for. How do they know that you have a valid license?

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

^^
    hes right

Try taking it to apple though, you might have better luck

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Buy your hard drive and then buy an external case for the new drive. Put the new drive in your enclosure, use a program like Super Duper to clone your HD, perform the HD swap...

5. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

Due to licensing issues we are not allowed to have any operating discs at all. All OS installations can only be done with the client's software.

If you do not have the disc, you can try a drive imaging program to see if you can iage your drive over, then use Disk Utilities to resize the partition. granted, I am not too sure the capabilities of Tiger's partition manager seeing I have never used Tiger, but it should not be too hard.

This software seems to haev had success with cloning macs. As I mentioned before, I am new to macs so I am not sure if Acronis and Symantec Ghost would work, and you would need a computer with a Bios for them to boot to CD anyway, I would think

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Good luck with upgrading your drive :)

Also, I think if you installed Leopard on the hard drive in the powerbook it should work, then you can use the migration assistant with your old drive in a usb or firewire caddy. Unless you don't feel it is worth Leopard either. Again, I may be grossly incorrect, so forgive me if I am wrong.

6. FotoGenetix macrumors newbie

they do not have any OS-X restore installation CDs, seeing as those cds are also hardware specific to model.

but yes try the Apple Store.

are you replacing your HD because its broken or are you just upgrading the drive?

if the old drive is functional i would use http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
    to transfer your files

7. casey37812 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any place i can get a harddrive enclosure at? other than the internet?

8. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

So Leopard isn't dependent on being installed into an Intel only chipset?

I don't know if that's right or if the PB has an Intel chipset?

9. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Best Buy sells them, they are made by Rocketfish. Granted they are a little expensive for what they are, but eh, guess it is a connivence price. Powerbooks do not have an Intel Chipset, hence the "Power"book. Intel chipped machines are MacBooks

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

+1

He is asking about Tiger, not Leopard. PB's don't have Intel, that was the switch to the term MBP.

11. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Well depending on where you live, Best Buy, Frys, etc. should all carry it. That being said, is your old hard drive IDE or SATA? Finding an IDE enclosure might be a little more tricky at a brick and mortar store.

12. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Agreed this is the best method. Plus you'll have the case and the old drive to make a handy external drive.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I was referring to Hakaslak who suggested installing Leopard. I think he is inferring that he is BB or Geek Squad affiliated.

...."Also, I think if you installed Leopard on the hard drive in the powerbook it should work, then you can use the migration assistant with your old drive in a usb or firewire caddy. Unless you don't feel it is worth Leopard either. Again, I may be grossly incorrect, so forgive me if I am wrong."

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's an IDE laptop drive.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you own a Mac and you go the Apple Store and ask them to install it, it is assumed by Apple that you bought the computer with the OS (since you can't buy without).

The Apple Store should be able to help; if there is no Apple Store, you can call AppleCare and order new disks for $15 apiece.

16. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

if you think you know more than he does, i find it ironic that he is working in a job that routinely works with computers and you are dealing with him to fix your computer. if you don't have a license you're SOL. repurchase the OS. end of story.

interesting comment about geeksquad though, they have to have a lot of patience. i can't work a geeksquad gig...too much of a liability. i'd hate to jump over the counter to strangle some schmuck because I lost it after a while and, mind you, i have stood in line behind many a schmuck so there are a ton out there. not good for me. there are noobs and then there are noobs that think they know more than the guy doing his job. give the kid a break, it was a valid software concern...any noob could've told you that.

17. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

I'ce seen a powerbook G4 running Leopard 10.5.6, had to fix one the other day, so I am pretty sure Leopard runs on PowerPC processors. Most apps run on PPC also, if they are universal binaries.

Anywho, I don't think you could buy Tiger anyway, so unless you went to the apple store I think the only OS disc you can get is Leopard.

18. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Leopard does run on PPC. I have it on my PM G5 and wife's PB.