So I got 2 G4 PowerMacs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexanderasher, Mar 15, 2014.

1. alexanderasher macrumors member

alexanderasher

... For 50 dollars. Now what? I wanna upgrade them a bit, but what all should I do to them? I haven't gotten a chance to hook them up or anything yet as I lack a keyboard and mouse for them, but here's the apparent specs.

Power PC 400mhz 1m/cashe
    64MB 10GB hard drive
    HD/DVD -ROM

Power PC 450mhz 1m/cashe
    120MB 20GB hard drive
    HD/DVD -ROM and a zip drive

Any tips on what to do with these? I might gut the weaker one and build a PC in it, but I'm not sure.

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

3. Bug-Creator, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Any random USB kbd/mouse should do the job.

Another thing you could do is to open the door and check wether the GFX-card if PCI or AGP.

If it's PCI you basicly have a factory upgraded G3 PowerMac in litlle less fancy clothing.

If they are proper AGP PowerMacG4s you can upgrade them up to 2x1.8GHz and some fairly descent GFX (R300 based Radeon or similar aged NVidia).

Edit:
    If it's AGP you could also give Morphos a spin, but remember that the ATI-Rage is only partly supported.

4. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

Arent the USB ports on them 1.1 though? I don't have any that could work with them. Then comes the whole issue of a monitor.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

You could plug in an USB3 HD in there and it would (should) still work (at 1.1 speeds offcourse).

All KBD/mice are still USB1(.1) except the ones that contain an USB2 hub (but these are still 1.1 on the KBD part).

6. eyoungren, Mar 16, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The 450 is likely to be the AGP model, the 400 a PCI. I have those two models at work.

Particularly in the case of the 450 you have lots of options.

RAM, 2GB
    CPU card. There are dual cpu processor cards out there (Sonnet, Powerlogix, Giga Designs) up to 2.0Ghz. Depending on what you can find and how you can manage heat.
    SATA. You can buy a PC SATA card for around $10 and use a PC to flash it to Mac. Then you can use SATA II drives. Faster than FW400.
    USB 2.0. There are USB 2.0 PCI cards out there, some like mine, are a combo card of 2 FW400 ports and two USB 2.0 ports.
    Video. There are a number of later PCI/AGP Nvidia/Radeon cards that will work in these machines. Some G5 video cards can be altered as well which gives you even better access and some PC only cards (as I will be doing soon) can be flashed to Mac.

It all depends on how much you have or wish to invest in to the machine that determines how valuable or worthless the Mac is to you.

See the Mac in my signature. It began life as a 733mhz (single) G4 with stock ram and 40GB hard drive. Currently I'm driving three monitors with it with the capability to expand to 5 and it has less room for ram than your two G4s.

7. gavinstubbs09, Mar 16, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

If you get bored you could run Tiger on them for the lol or make one of them a file server with a PCI SATA card upgrades and stuff.

To add on about graphics cards: The G5 FX5200 and Radeon 9600 should both be able to work with taped pins. You can use the same SATA card that is in a guide to flash it for a Mac, I have a B&W and it worked fine in there so the early G4's should be fine as well. Then of course USB 2.0 cards are available and work well.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I somehow think you mixed something up here and wanted to say that those upgrades are available for AGP Powermacs.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OOOPS! Yes, you are right. I went back and fixed it! I mean the 450, not the 400. Thanks for pointing that out!

10. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

First things first, and that's the operating system. Both machines power up to the OS missing graphic (Folder with a ? on it) and that's something I'm gonna need to fix. I'll assume I'm gonna need a disk drive for it, now.

Also, I don't plan on turning these into main computers. I have a desktop and a macbook already, I mainly bought these because of the price. 50 for two is pretty cheap if you think about it. Like I said before, the idea of gutting one and turning it into a hackintosh or pc is pretty appealing, though they both look like they need a good wipedown.

But one I would like to turn into a spare computer or guest computer, I guess, or maybe a fileserver. It all depends, really. Being able to use it on Tiger would be pretty awesome though, as I've always had a liking towards Tiger.

EDIT: I should mention, both have disk loading drives, so maybe I just need to put together a tiger install disk at some point.

11. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

Welcome to the club. :D

12. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

And I thought that I got a good deal when I spent $50 on my iBook G4 from eBay....
    Great buy and fun tinkering!

13. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

And I thought my $84 MDD was a good deal on ebay :rolleyes:

14. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

And I thought my $1200 MacBook Pro was a good deal from retail :D.

Just kidding.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It was.

This is a Sawtooth and an AGP. You have an MDD. Big difference! :D

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I'd say both payed about twice the market value (serious !) unless the market overthere is so much different....

17. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

I spent $45 for two MDDs through Craigslist. /snicker :D

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I paid $50 and three iBook G3s for my Quicksilver! ;)

But I also got the display, Apple Pro Speakers, one of the old style keyboards and mouse and it came with a 1.2Ghz Sonnet upgrade.

I'm not a big fan of the iBook so getting rid of the three I had to someone who really wanted them was a good deal for me.

19. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Damn! That was a good deal! I love the Apple Pro Keyboard!

20. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

21. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

So, with this (Or, these, but one is definitely being turned into a case at this point since it includes the bare minimum of parts) being my first PowerPC computer (Outside of a classroom, at least) I feel the need to catalog and ask open questions in this thread, if that's okay with everyone.

Only legal OS I can get is a copy of Panther from my video production teacher, but that's fine for now. I'm looking into downloads but haven't found any that are particularly safe. I also need to buy a mouse for the machine, but I have a keyboard that should work.

Only issue thing is, both give a simillar issue. I'm not sure if it's my monitor or if the graphics card is dying, but when I boot up, I see lines on the screen. Picture related (Also ignore my mess of a desk, please.)

I'll be replacing the graphics card so even if it is an issue with that, it's almost a nonissue at this point.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that's the video card. You may have time, you may not.

23. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

Ah. Like I said, I'm replacing it anyway, so it's not really a big issue.