So I got a flawed 13" MBP display...now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deanshu, Jun 21, 2009.

1. deanshu macrumors member

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/155352-macbook-pro-13-screen-issues.html

Exact same problem as this fellow here. My 9C9E seems extremely orange/yellow warm, and the colors are definitely not as saturated as I was expecting when comparing to my calibrated 24" panel.

One thing that struck me as a little weird was that I was looking at threads complaining about "purple looking blues" and "neon greens", but I don't seem to suffer from these issues even though I have the same exact panel as them (9C9E).

What should I do now? I can't take it back to the same store because they'd be likely to still have the same batch. I do have another store to try out, but how should I approach the situation?

And no, I'm not "whining". I'm pointing out a valid flaw in the product that is inexcusable in my line of work.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you aren't pleased with the product and you feel it is defective, take it back

What other answer is there?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Go get it swapped if you're having problems. I assume you're within the 14 day exchange limit. And what's your line of work? Do you do professional photography? If you do, shouldn't you have a nice external to work with? Just saying.. but anyways, take it back to the other and ask for a replacement. Turn the computer on and make sure the screen is okay before you leave. I don't know what else you could do.. your two options are keep it or go get it exchanged.

4. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Graphic design as a main and photography as a hobby... yes, I have a calibrated 24" IPS but if I'm traveling there's no way I have access to it.

Yes, I'm within the 14 day limit; however, I called the Apple Retail Store I got it from and they said that they wanted their technician to "look at it". Is there a possibility the technician could claim no fault and refuse an exchange? There is no doubt in my mind there is some sort of issue going on with the screen, but I'm afraid that people who don't do the same type of stuff I do would be satisfied with the sub-par screen.

5. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Yes, they could say there isn't a problem, but if you can prove that there is, they kinda have to change it. Just take it to an Apple Store with the receipt, show them a comparison between yours and the ones on show and they should give you a replacement.

6. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Yup. Just compare it with one that's in the store. There's no excuse for the technician there if they are different.

7. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Check out the calibration thread on this board, it helps a load. Can't believe I even thought my screen looked good before.

8. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Oh right.. it could just be the calibration. Didn't even think of that. My default profile was HORRENDOUS. I found a really good one on this site awhile ago.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

regardless of whether he deems is broken or not, you're still within 14 days (and your rights) to exchange it.

10. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so I took it in today, and sure enough - the technician took one look at it and she said it was fine. She also took the MBP to the floor models and - what luck - all of them were 9C9E as well. I know that Apple is aware of the issue because when I mentioned the symptoms I was having she instantly was like "Oh, don't trust rumor sites" when I never even mentioned finding about the issue from online.

And apparently, that 14 day period is only for unopened models.

I downloaded a color profile from here somewhere, but it turned out a bit too blue. Anyone have one that they recommend?

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Misinformed. 14-day is not only for unopened units. There are a ton of us who have gone back and got an exchange with an opened product because of a defect of some sort. If your screen looks similar to those on the floor then there isn't anything "wrong" with it, maybe it's your preference? Also, aren't the new portables (both 15 and 13 inch) equipped with better screens? I say it might be a preference/calibration fault that you can fix.

12. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I've had similar exchanges with Apple people about past issues. I'd go to another apple store, but don't mention that you read about the issue online.

Forums can can make a limited problem seem much more widespread than it really is because we are more inclined to publicly complain about something than to praise it. Apple retail employees sometimes don't view the presence of online complaints about an issue as evidence of an actual problem because of this.