So I got a monitor...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I got a Samsung monitor for Christmas to go along with my MacBook. The only problem is that I don't have a keyboard or a mini DVI converter cable. The monitor came with a VGA extender; however, I'm not sure if I should use a VGA or DVI cable to connect it to the MacBook. How much better is DVI than VGA? I need to decide now since I'm going to the Apple store to either get a mini DVI to VGA or mini DVI to DVI cable tomorrow. If I do use DVI I'll need to get a DVI extender. Also, I'm not sure if I should get a wired or wireless Apple keyboard. Is the wireless worth the extra $20? Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i cant tell the difference between dvi and vga to be honest

just a question if you want to spend the 20 or so bucks on a dvi cable

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'd keep it with VGA. You won't be doing anything powerful enough with that graphics card to be able to see the difference between the two.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

DVI is more clear and can transmit higher resolution signals. The cables are not dirt cheap, but affordable. I would also suggest a wireless [bluetooth] keyboard since the MacBook only has 2 USB ports and Apple's keyboard is bluetooth wireless; it doesn't have a small USB receiver dongle. It's worth it IMHO; unless you need a number pad and the total of one extra USB port;the wired version has two, but you use 1/2 on the macbook, so 1 + 2 on the keyboard is 3.