So I got a new MBP, Now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EMAGDNIM, Apr 6, 2008.

1. EMAGDNIM macrumors member

EMAGDNIM

Okay, this is going to sound a little odd but I've got a new shiny MBP that I had purchased yesterday STILL IN THE BOX! Crazy I know, but here's the thing. I've got a regular MB that has seen better days and I'd like to know what I can do in order to protect my new laptop. I'm going to get one of those foam cases but what else should I be looking at. I will be taking it with me wherever I go. From School to work to home (And sometimes DJ gigs and online sets at my house or a friends) so it will always be in my backpack (with a laptop holder).

The issues I have with my MB are totally cosmetic. I'm going to get the plam rest fixed (I've got the broken plastic on the rest) and the case has scratches. Other then that it works A-OK! I want to get this fixed (I'm dropping it by a mac repair shop today) so that I can give it to my GF to use since her iBook is so aged.

So I've learned that macs can withstand a lot of abuse but, I don't want to try this again with my MBP. Anyways, let me know what other things I should be looking at...

Thanks in Advance...

2. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I have these on my iphone and ipod.

http://www.bodyguardz.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

and will probably be getting one for my MBP.

Putting them on is tricky, and sometimes they come out a little flawed, but its better than having your MBP get scratched.

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

4. PDE macrumors 68020

Moshi palmguard is unbeatable in quality and looks!

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This might not sound all that popular on this forum but in my opinion you will only increase that headache of yours if you keep babying all your products. Truth is they will eventually get scratched or something and it will hurt so much the more when it happens if you have spent insane amounts of energy trying to prevent it.

My MBP got a scratch on the front due to a crappy Speck case (oh the irony) and I don't care anymore, although I was pretty pissed when it happened.

6. macthille macrumors member

Here's a sad story about protecting the mac.

I keep my Penryn MBP in a neopren sleeve which fits really perfect on the MBP, and on the road I have this sleeve inside a laptop backpack (swiss army). I thought this was good protection but the other day my backpack fell (not a big fall at all) from a chair... It was closed and nothing fell out so I didn't think more of it.. When I came home I saw that the aluminium on front (above the optical drive slot in where it's weak) was deformed.... I tried to push it in as good as I could but it's still bent...

So.... Just a tip, place the computer with the DVD-side where the bag has the most protection. And don't let the backpack sit on a chair like I did I guess.
    I personally refuse to have a "permanent" scratch-protection on my mbp, it will just get uglier.
    I have mine in the sleeve when moving it to keep it scratch free :)

And congratz to your new MBP, awsome computer!

edit:
    Now go play with it!

7. asmallchild macrumors regular

no scratch protection on my MBP whatsoever and I've had no problems with it

(it's worth mentioning I've had this unit for less than a week though :p)

But I've traveled twice with it already and it's just fine.

I'd say just get a good laptop bag (I have a trusty old Samsonite bag) and be as careful as you can.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have to agree with this. Cases, skins, etc just make the thing look a lot uglier then if it had a little scratch on it. I bought my MBP knowings its gonna get used and abused.

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i have no problems with my speck case..at first i only used the lower portion. but now i noticed a scratch on the top clamshell that is somewhat minor (can only be seen in certain lighting conditions) so I clipped the other half of the shell on.

10. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Case, apps, make it yours!!!

lol, this reminds me of that apple get a mac ad :p, lmao.

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

INCASE INCASE INCASE. ( the neoprene cases for the MBP)

expensive but are great!!!!! 30 bucks ( ebay)

a Mr Clean magic eraser. (dont get very wet, keep one side dry..buff buff buff)

can of air...dont spray too close

key covers are ok...more of a pain if you ask me

you can get a plastic case around the whole machine. Pain as well

really if you just clean it often, keep it in the case whenever moving it, and dont let everyone under the sun get on it"
    you will be fine

enjoy your upgrade!!!

12. MrAngry macrumors newbie

I'm quite tempted by the Crumpler Hard Suit at the moment.

13. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

"
    key covers are ok...more of a pain if you ask me"

I have a clear KB cover. No probs or issues with it....

14. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Brenthaven.com

http://www.brenthaven.com/

Although a bit pricey, they offer the best protection from drops, falls etc.

I have two of their cases (backpack and shoulder bag) and have been using them for 5 years now. I have had my backpack fall out of a chair a few times with no damage done to my Mac. Even after 5 years, the cases look like their still new and I use them daily for work.

Watch the online videos. They have a wide selection of cases.

15. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Do best skins ever offer protection for the sides too? I know invisible shield doesn't and I find very few manufacturers who do.

16. EMAGDNIM thread starter macrumors member

EMAGDNIM

I picked up two neopren sleeves for my GF's MB and my MBP. Thanks for all the posts and help...