Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That's a real shame, because ThinkPads used to be excellent laptops. My last Windows laptop was a ThinkPad T42 (last one made by IBM before Lenovo took over) and it was rock solid, the best Windows laptop I had ever owned. I had always assumed that if for any reason I needed to leave Apple products behind, I would get a Thinkpad again and maybe install linux on it.

I wonder fi the problem is the hard are, or Windows? Maybe the Yoga would run better under Linux?

When keyboards go from the best you have ever used to crap, it is hardware. Lenovo has lost their way!

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
btw, not to judge you, but i'm shocked that you can impulse buy your way out of an operating system. i can't do that. switching from pc to a mac for me took years.

Different strokes for different folks! I switched to a Mac in days. It took a little longer with Linux so I don't see that it would be difficult to switch back. I'm on Windows at work everyday anyways so that makes a huge difference; only my home machine is a Mac. I'd miss some things about my Mac but there are a lot of things the Windows OS does better too if you're open minded about it!

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Sorry to hear about your Lenovo Yoga troubles. I was really hoping that it would turn out to be a decent little laptop/ultrabook. But I guess that's not the case. Not because I personally think that there actually could be a Windows laptop that could be better than the Air :) But because I have customers that, for whatever reason--usually cost or general mac-hate, wont buy a mac. I am constantly looking for a even semi-decent alternative to the MBA for them. Oh, well, sucks to be the non-MBA user, I guess ;)

And as to one of the previous questions in this post, yes it is perfectly fine (and recommended by me to buy an MBA or MBpro or iMac even if you are mainly going to use Windows. I have three customers--and a wife--that all have MBA's or MBP's and mostly run Windows thru BootCamp. One of them even uses Windows 8 and he's had very little issue with it other than typical MS Windows kind of issues--nothing Mac related. Mac's are, in my opinion, the most versatile machines out there for running different OS's. The only thing i cannot recommend them for is games. Still need a pretty good PC with a good discrete 3D card for that.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's really not fair to judge a computer screen from a picture, but I have to say...I can actually read the text on the MBA whereas it's all washed out on the Yoga. I believe you when you say it's a superior screen because you're looking at/using it and I am not, but I don't think those pictures necessarily do justice to what you're trying to convey. Totally, 100% could just be me.

Windows 8...*shudder* ;):D

EDIT: No backlit keyboard on the Yoga?

It only looks washed out on the Yoga because it's brighter, and the exposure time of the camera happens to make the MBA look less washed out.

The Yoga's screen is definitely better than the 13" MBA's. ;) Having said that, if I had to choose between a 13" Retina MBP, and a 13" Yoga, I'd take the rMBP.

If I had to choose between a Yoga 2 Pro, then that would make it more difficult, because THAT is a stunning machine. :) Spec-wise, it's similar to a Yoga, but it looks and feels better to me.

I'd consider getting a Surface Pro 3 before a Yoga 2 Pro or Yoga. Heck, I barely use computers at home right now, so I'd even consider getting a SP3 before I'd get a rMBP, Yoga 2 Pro, etc.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Apple hardware is simp[ly better than Lenovo. I was a long time Thinkpad user but they have los their way and their keyboards are horrible. Ordered a W540, ove $3000, and it would not even boot up out of the box. Keyboard was horrible with scratching sounds when you hit a key and some key even got stuck!

The new X1 Carbon's keyboard is just as bad and I returned it, too!

Did Lenovo's keyboards change dramatically sometime during the past three years?

Because I'm using an Edge E520 from 2011 and the keyboard is absolutely wonderful, still literally as perky as the day I bought it. And I type constantly every day at work and use the same machine for leisure as well. I was one of those who screamed bloody murder when they dropped the classic keyboards of the old tank ThinkPads, but the new generation of Lenovo keyboards has surprised me and is IMO by far the best on any laptop today.

So, I'm asking not to critizise you at all but just for information as I'm looking to upgrade to a new ThinkPad soon.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Did Lenovo's keyboards change dramatically sometime during the past three years?

Because I'm using an Edge E520 from 2011 and the keyboard is absolutely wonderful, still literally as perky as the day I bought it. And I type constantly every day at work and use the same machine for leisure as well. I was one of those who screamed bloody murder when they dropped the classic keyboards of the old tank ThinkPads, but the new generation of Lenovo keyboards has surprised me and is IMO by far the best on any laptop today.

So, I'm asking not to critizise you at all but just for information as I'm looking to upgrade to a new ThinkPad soon.

My W540 was horrible. Yes they have changed the keyboards. Google Lenovo W540 keyboards and you should see.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
My W540 was horrible. Yes they have changed the keyboards. Google Lenovo W540 keyboards and you should see.

Looks very much like the one on my E520, with minor differences in the layout of the least used buttons. Do you dislike the "new" generation of Lenovo keyboards in general, I mean since the big change from the old school ThinkPad keyboards which happened around 2011 or so?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Looks very much like the one on my E520, with minor differences in the layout of the least used buttons. Do you dislike the "new" generation of Lenovo keyboards in general, I mean since the big change from the old school ThinkPad keyboards which happened around 2011 or so?

I have been a lifetime user of Thinkpads. My choice was not made with ease. My W540 keyboard made a scratchy sounds when hitting some keys. Some keys actualyy STUCK. Very few who own or have owned a W540 are happy with the keyboard.

I then tried a X1 Carbon, their newest and the keyboard had a hollow sound and actually moved up and down when typing on the left hand side. They also removed all the status lights so you had no idea what was going on. I had owned the X1 model just before this one and it was gold.

Just telling you to beware and make sure you can return any purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.