So, I got a Wacom Bamboo Touch...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shake 'n' Bake, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I just had to have one. Got it at Best Buy yesterday for $75 including tax.

Using a tablet really makes keyboards and mice seem primitive. The Bamboo Touch does two-finger multi-touch gestures, as well as single-finger.

So far, I'm mainly using it on my Studio 540 with Sim City 4 Deluxe.

I'd like to utilize Ink on the OS X side of my life, but I need a pen. I know I can get one from Wacom for $30, but will that work with the Bamboo Touch?

I noticed in Mail on SL, when I use a two-finger scroll, the list has simulated inertia and momentum, like in iPhone OS. Think it's a sign of a tablet?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Can you even use a pen?

I looked around for a bit and can't find anything that implies the Bamboo Touch even allows using a pen. I know the Bamboo Pen and the Bamboo Pen & Touch (which alternates between the two modes) work with a pen, but it's not clear if the Touch becomes a Pen & Touch simply by putting a pen close to the pad. The language on the Wacom landing pages seems to imply otherwise (see attached photo)

So...are you sure you can even use a pen with the Bamboo Touch?

Nah, I think it's a sign of the multi-touch gestures used with the laptop touchpads.

Attached Files:

3. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

My dad has a convertible notebook for work and I tried one of its pens and nothing happened.

I found, however, you need something to tell the tablet to do a mouse click while you're writing. I think it's just because it's not a Wacom pen for some reason.

I can live without writing, but I'd really like it.

4. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

How ironic. When I refreshed this thread, a Bamboo Pen ad cam up at the bottom.

Anyways, I ordered the Bamboo pen, not the tablet, just the pen, for $32 or so including tax. Wacom says 2-4 days for processing, and I used the standard UPS ground shipping. It'll be here by Thursday, by my prediction (haven't gotten a tracking number).

5. macsnail macrumors newbie

It'll be interesting if it'll work on the Bamboo Touch. Wacom do make a "Pen and Touch" model - and are you assuming that the 'touch' area will be identical on these two models? It's a fair assumption I suppose, but you may have to download drivers to use the Pen. As I'm aware, the Pen-and-Touch disables the 'touch' feature when the pen is near the surface of the tablet, and presumably this facility isn't activated in the solo touch model.
    I'd love to know how you get on.
    Also, how are you finding the sensitivity of the touch surface? I'm thinking of getting one of these but many reviews bemoan the jaggedness of the 'touch' movement and a certain lack of responsiveness.

6. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The sensitivity is just great. It's much faster than a mouse, but once you use it, it makes perfect sense. The only thing I don't like is in Sim City 4, the multi-touch gestures for zooming in and out are a bit choppy, unlike, say, an iPod touch and Safari.

The pen had its destination scan from Latham, NY (about 25-30 miles from me). Does UPS deliver on Saturdays? If so, it should be here today!