So I got an iPad... and... well...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeonGreenHermit, Oct 3, 2010.

1. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

And do you know what? I LOVE IT.

My interest in one waned after I got an iP4, but I am smitten. As a student I'm enjoying iBooks and Pages for 90% of my reading and essay/note writing - no more shoulder-breaking bag! On my honeymoon recently, it was all we needed, and we dumped photo's and video's direct via the connection kit. Games are more enjoyable on the bigger screen, and Safari is the best incarnation yet.

I guess the moral is that if you actually do have a use for it, it really is a tool for consumption as well as creation. It's sort of sad that a lot of people buy them (or any Apple product) based on the hype machine before whining like spoilt children.

It's a frivolous gadget - there's no doubt in that - but what a gadget.

Just thought I'd share my opinion as new iPad owner. And for the record, IMHO the iPad display > retina any day. Bigger is better for multimedia.

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

3. NeonGreenHermit thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i know it's a kinda lame cool story bro post, but hey :D

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Might be for you. For me personally it's completely replaced my laptop for day to day purposes. Not frivolous by any means.

5. NeonGreenHermit thread starter macrumors regular

Well, there's still a lot I can't do - no photoshop or protools suites yet. Until then, it's not something I could replace my MacBook with. But it is a perfect in-between go-to device.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Try:

ArtistaOil HD
    Multi-Photo
    PS Express (great)
    Filterstorm
    Nikon L&E (if you have Nikon. I have a D3S)

There are plenty other apps for photos out there for sure.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Saying that the iPad's screen is better than the iPhone's is like saying your ford truck is better than a Ferrari because it is bigger. There is absolutely no question about it: when compared to the retina display, the iPad's screen is horrid. I have had an iPad since launch and an iPhone 4 since 2 months. The difference is substantial and very noticeable specially if you do lots of reading and browsing on both.

I love both but the iPad has some very clear shortcomings in its current form.

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Saying this is like saying that this is his or her opinion while you have yours. Just like saying that Shure SE 535's sound better than Ultimate Ears UE 5 Pro's. Hearing and in some cases visual acuity is subjective. Either way you can't tell someone what they think, only what you think.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I just can't see the attraction. Touchscreen, big deal. Why do I
    want a stripped down laptop with limitations?

10. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

Love mine too. Took it to a conference this weekend and lived on it in the hotel. A co-worker dragged her MacBook Pro along with her. We didn't even use it. The iPad was super portable, turned on instantly, and made us look cool. And it was great for pr0n and watching some ABC shows on demand at night.

11. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

Its good to see a thread about how much someone loves it, rather then everybody else on here talking about how bad it is. I absolutely love mine, its portable and the battery lasts forever. I take it pretty much everywhere I go now.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Indeed an amazing device along with the infrastructure & platform its in. Enjoy it fully and don't forget to upgrade when gen 2 debuts.

I'm hoping more Colleges & Universities worldwide take up iTunes U and offer iPod Touches/iPads to all students for curriculum, calendar, course lectures, school texts & workbooks (accounting, etc), and more. This will allow for universal education breaking down barriers about which certification holds more weight in 1 country vs another: when the education is based the same and advances in equality - those requiring specialized surgeons for critical life saving operations no longer waiting for a doctor to take a flight cross pacific/atlantic. Then the resources for equipment to perform training and surgery will equal out along with the education; no more need to fly a child from Calcutta to Los Angeles for an operation - less payment from governmental infrastructure covering such flight & immigration costs.

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

Horrid? Dear lord...

The iPad screen is 132 PPI, identical to the top of the line MBP 17" and vastly superior to the iMac and all the other MBP's.

For what it's worth, beta iOS 4.2 has improved text rendering. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when it hits in November. Even as-is, why anyone would prefer surfing on the iP4 screen to an iPad is beyond me. The iPad display is gorgeous, no matter what the popular Internet meme around these parts would say otherwise. :)

Congrats on your new iPad, OP!

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Read the title and thought "oh my not another one of those: 'I hate it!' threads" but no! I'm happy you like it and am more happy to see someone who bought it not just based on the fame or brand but for the obvious use of it. I use mine a lot for reading PDF's as they are a must and taking notes [only today I bought my Targus stylus, since the one I made on my own ripped to pieces :(].

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The iPad screen looks just as good as the iPhone 4. I have both, and since you hold the iPad much farther way it all ends up the same. I love the screen on my iPad and couldn't be happier. Don't expect a retina display on an iPad anytime soon.

17. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

And yet, here you are, smack dab in the middle of an iPad thread.

Ya, why do I need a toaster, coffee maker and microwave when I have an oven and stove?

18. Maziar macrumors 6502

Congrats op :D I love mine too(64gb wifi) I recently got an iPhone 4 and love it,and to me both screens are great and unlike some users my experience hasnt been ruined with iPad after using iPhone 4,both have great displays IMO.
    Love both :D :apple:

19. duky macrumors 6502

No, actually, it's just fact - the Retina display is better technology. The opinion part of it is whether or not you think the size of the screen outweighs the benefits of the Retina display. I personally can't wait till the Retina display tech hits the iPad, assuming it does some day. For now, I love both my devices but the iPhone 4 is the only one that I am constantly amazed by every time I look at the clarity of that screen.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have the new iPod touch, and the screen *is* a huge improvement from the previous gen. I'm more inclined to use it while on the go and leave my iPad in the bag. However, no amount of clarity can beat the fact that you can only clam so much into a 3.5 inch screen. Case in point, I find it impossible to read or respond to MacRumors from my touch, while I love doing so from my iPad. And while I do expect screen technology to keep improving over time, I'm perfectly satisfied with the iPad screen as it is now, and an improved screen isn't on my top ten features I want in the next gen iPad.

21. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Could you please elaborate on this. One of the two things that held me off from buying one is the screen (the other is a lack of camera). I, like you, contend to use it for reading books and webpage.
    For example, do you find youself often compare to IP4's? Do you see the pixels? What about watching video? Is it good enough?

22. NeonGreenHermit thread starter macrumors regular

I don't compare it to my iPhone 4 - there are a lot of tech guys who will give you a detailed breakdown of pixel density and why the iP4 is better technology... and I'm not denying that. The iP4 screen is amazing, sharp, brilliant. But, there's a very simple equation:

Bigger screen > smaller screen.

It's like trying to play a pub gig using a £10k uber home sound system, or, going away on a two week road trip with a sportscar instead of an SUV. I'm not sure if my lame examples convey my point, but tools for the job is important. When surfing, watching videos, playing games, reading PDF's, typing notes... no matter how you try to dress it up... a bigger screen is more comfortable on the eyes.

I'm sure if Apple designed a postage-stamp sized retina display with 10x the pixels of the iP4, you'd have some guys saying it's better to watch films on than the iPhone. It's not a practical point of view, but hey.

I'm not iP4 bashing, I love both. BUT, I find the majority of my needs are better and more comfortably accomplished on an iPad. Yes, you can 'see' the pixels, but if that's what bothers a user, then they probably are buying into technology rather than the product.

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This is exactly what I was wondering when I read this post. If you dont' have an iPad, you don't want an iPad, and you think they are so bad, then why would you even waste your time browsing the iPad threads.... I mean I'm not mad at you, I really don't care how you waste your time (just pleast don't tell me how to waste mine!! :p ) It's just curious to me how many people pop in to these threads to say how they hate the iPad. I suppose it's good to have dissenting opinions so that we don't all become like-minded, but I just always find it strange.

24. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you very much. I appreciate your sincere and non-fanboy reply.

I think I know perfectly what you mean.