Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
My T-Mobile 5s wildly varies anywhere from as low as 4 Mbps up to as high as 40 Mpbs while connected to LTE. It literally depends which city block I'm on and whether I'm indoors or outside. It's quite normal to see a wide range of Speedtest results and I've seen this same thing on other LTE phones (not iPhones) as well. I've also seen the same on AT&T LTE devices as well.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I havent updated tmo carrier update because i dont want to lose hotspot tethering. May be the update helps with the lte speed. Can someone confirm?

You won't lose the ability to use Personal Hotspot if you update the carrier settings. Mine is on T-Mobile 15.1 currently and I can still tether up to 2.5 GB per month on my unlimited plan.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
You won't lose the ability to use Personal Hotspot if you update the carrier settings. Mine is on T-Mobile 15.1 currently and I can still tether up to 2.5 GB per month on my unlimited plan.

If he hasn't purchased a T-Mobile Personal Hotspot plan the carrier update will disable it and tell him to contact T-Mobile to enable the feature. He'll have to pay for it.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
If he hasn't purchased a T-Mobile Personal Hotspot plan the carrier update will disable it and tell him to contact T-Mobile to enable the feature. He'll have to pay for it.

That is true, although their unlimited data plan includes hotspot as I was saying. He hasn't actually said which plan he's on that I see in going back and reading his posts.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
That is true, although their unlimited data plan includes hotspot as I was saying. He hasn't actually said which plan he's on that I see in going back and reading his posts.

If he is prepaid, prepaid doesn't offer tethering plans. Hence not wanting to apply the carrier update and lose tethering.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
FWIW I had been intending to check TMO coverage in consideration of a later search, so I had a prepaid SIM I had not yet activated. Subsequent to my previous post I did enable it on a $3/day prepaid plan and popped it into my AT&T 5s that I'd unlocked last week via swiftunlocks.

I did not apply any carrier update and saw 11.09 down (and 0.23 up???) on two dots of LTE.

From this anecdotal one data point I'd suggest the OP's experience is more likely related to the coverage at the test location than anything to do with the phone. I'll see if I can test more tonight if requested.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
If he is prepaid, prepaid doesn't offer tethering plans. Hence not wanting to apply the carrier update and lose tethering.

And I was agreeing with you...I was simply pointing out that he never said yet if he's prepaid or postpaid.

macno0b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. Im on prepaid using the unlimited $60 plan with 2.5gb LTE speed then throttled down to 2g. I updated to Tmobile 15.1 carrier update but the speed is still the same. Surprisingly, the hotspot is still there after the update.

I turned off LTE running on 4g and it seems to be getting better. I will keep testing it.

How are you guys ip5s battery life? Mine is not that great. It wont last for a whole day. I normally unplug at 8am. The battery often dies around 8-9pm.

----------

My T-Mobile 5s wildly varies anywhere from as low as 4 Mbps up to as high as 40 Mpbs while connected to LTE. It literally depends which city block I'm on and whether I'm indoors or outside. It's quite normal to see a wide range of Speedtest results and I've seen this same thing on other LTE phones (not iPhones) as well. I've also seen the same on AT&T LTE devices as well.

40 Mbps? Wow thats faster than my Comcast speed.
Where are you located Lancetx?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
You realize you only have 3 bars and 2 bars, not very good signal. Still you should get slightly better speeds. Try to rest network settings, even though you don't want to.

macno0b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
You realize you only have 3 bars and 2 bars, not very good signal. Still you should get slightly better speeds. Try to rest network settings, even though you don't want to.

I tried reset network, it didn't help. My latest test results.

Now in thinking may be it is my sim card which was trimmed to fit the 5S.

ureraqur.jpg
uba7ahu2.jpg

ikaka

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
I also recently switched from ATT to TMobile. I have two iPhones 5s and one iPhone 5. Speeds are horrible to non existent. I'm in NYC and Brooklyn. I get constant dropped calls, and consistent less then 1mbit on 4G, on LTE it's about 7mbit but that's still rare. Im thinking to actually go back to ATT.

:( what the hell?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I also recently switched from ATT to TMobile. I have two iPhones 5s and one iPhone 5. Speeds are horrible to non existent. I'm in NYC and Brooklyn. I get constant dropped calls, and consistent less then 1mbit on 4G, on LTE it's about 7mbit but that's still rare. Im thinking to actually go back to ATT.

:( what the hell?

Did you install the carrier updates? I'm in NYC and Brooklyn on T-Mobile and I get LTE every where.

???

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Got a 32gb silver 5s last night full price from an Apple store. I plugged it in itunes, it says congrats, your iphone is unlocked. I put my Tmo sim card in, it works perfectly. However, the LTE speedtest is slow

I get 5-7mb download and max 1mb upload. I got up to 15mb download on my old Galaxy S3 which I ditched to go back to iOS because Android is horrible.

Is the slow speed because I'm using an ATT version? Is the 5S Att version the same as the Tmo version? Will I get better performance on a Tmo version?

Thanks,

I am ATT and getting around 5mbs down on LTE here in central jersey. it is network and signal, that is why I will change to verizon soon.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
When you put a tmobile sim in an Verizon iPhone 5s/5c does '4g' in the top left mean 4g lte or just tmobiles 4g network? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

macno0b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
So I'm not alone. Funny thing is, 4g was really fast on the Samsung Galaxy S3. I constantly got 18-20mbps on the S3. Not sure why its horrible on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.