So I got HD noise all of the sudden........

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by edcoche, May 3, 2008.

1. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

So here's the story. I have 33.15 GB remaining on my Blackbook 2.2 with a total of 148.73 HD space on the HD. It's supposed to be 160 GB but whatever. I ordered it un-customized (thus 1gb ram) when Apple had a Macbook revision in early November 2007. Anyway, over the last 2 weeks I have filled up like 30 gigs (maybe more) of media. Typical stuff, music & videos. Over time--3 months?--as the HD gradually got more and more filled, I have noticed the machine taking longer and longer to boot-up and log in. I have also noticed it run significantly slower as of late. Which can be expected from a HD getting filled up. I plan on getting 4 GB of ram as soon as my unemployed @$$ gets a paycheck coming in--that'll alleviate the speed issue a bit.

However, Now after I log in and have things to load up the HD seems to be running almost all the time. Like just doing typical things such as using my dashboard and safari. It is not really loud, but I live in a silent place and I am hearing a lil noise that I am not used to hearing. Is this typical? One week ago, I went to a job fair and had my MB in my car, it was an unseasonably warm day in Denver, 82*. Could this have damaged the HD in any way? The machine was turned on, in sleep mode, in my backpack. I had all 4 windows slightly cracked. I just wanna know if it may be from the heat, or the space usage. I didnt use my MB till I got to my chilly home from the event and then I used it soon thereafter.

Any and all advice/input will be appreciated from you :apple:knowledgeable:apple: people out there!

2. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

What sort of noise is it, some apple drives clunk/click, this is the heads parking and is perfectly normal.

3. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

That's the noise. The sound isn't anything strange, unusual or bizarre. It seems like normal HD noise. Nothing more loud than it was the day I received the machine. The sound just seems to be present MUCH more than I remember it in the recent past. Is this consistent with an HD that is getting full? BTW, Thanks for the reply @ this hour.

I burn the midnight oil....

-Ed

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As a member just posted it's possibly just the heads parking as 2.5 drives are portable so they do that to prevent damage,if you have only just noticed it my advice would be to back up
    to a external just in case ( this never hurts ),oh & im in the UK so its nearly going to the pub time here

5. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

To check if its the heads parking, go to the activity monitor and monitor the hard drive. If the click/clunk occurs during the hard drive processing data then you have a problem, if not then its fine.