So I got my new iMac 5k today

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freshe, Feb 26, 2015.

1. freshe macrumors regular

I went to the about this mac window and what I see in it is some numbers (instead of the name of the model) and its just looking as if it was missing some info in there... really weird... Do I need to update my OS X ?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Post a screenshot?

4. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

I click apple icon, about this mac and it displayed the window. So in this window instead of the OS name on the very top I have six digit number. Underneat I have version 10.10 and a while ago it showed some additional build number in (). Under this I should have iMac and the model info in () and all I have is just "iMac". In Processor I have "4 GHz Intel Core i7". and then the rest of the info follows. Just bit weird but installing and update as we speak will update shortly if its fixed or not.

5. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Heres the screenshot.

It's only this window that is not displaying the info correctly. Everything else looks ok i.e display, storage, memory and so on.

Attached Files:

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Maybe it's a slightly new revision of the iMac 5k... you might see that number change to it's proper long name when the 10.10.3 update comes out?

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Definitely not normal. Try an OS reinstall.

8. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

I only turned it on for the first time, but sure will try to reinstall and we'll see. Thanks for the tip!

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You might try to repair the permissions in Disk Utility, and restart.

10. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Just finished installing the OSX but the issue is still there.

11. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Did repair still same issue

Attached Files:

12. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Try changing to another language, say Canadian English or something. There was a thread about (aboot in Canadian) this after upgrades.

13. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

The language change did the trick but im still getting the permission issue as per screenshot. In the que to senior advisor..

Attached Files:

14. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Turns out the senior tech advisor had the same issue and did not realise it. However the issue with the disk permision is a hardware issue and I was advised to bring it back to the retailer for a replacement… damn you apfel...

15. Patbil10 macrumors newbie

16. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

17. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.User differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; user is 244.Group differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; group is 244.
    Permissions verification complete
    Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.User differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; user is 244.Group differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; group is 244.Repaired “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”

----------

Now the apple guy did see my desktop with some kind of program I had to install...

Rang the retailer - as it CTO I might wait 6 weeks for a replacement.

18. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

19. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Seriously, I get this everytime I update my OS:

"User differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; user is 244.Group differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; group is 244.Repaired “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”"

I would not worry about it in the slightest.

20. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

21. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks, I've spent 2 hours on the phone told I have to bring it back... I will no longer go to apple in case of issues but consult them here first. Thanks again.