So I got my Snow Leopard DVD Today

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TechieJustin, Dec 8, 2009.

1. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I'll install it over the weekend.
    Should just pop it in and upgrade or do what i used to do on Windows - wipe the drive and install from scratch?
    The urge to use DBAN and zero out the drive - is still strong! Old habits die hard. :apple: ftw

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

For the best possible user experience, a clean install would be best if you don't mind the slight hassle.

3. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Not a hassle, been doing that for years with teh 'Doze.
    Based on my Windows experience I would always zero out the drive thanks to remnants being left in the MBR time and time again - even after reformatting.

and why is your avatar showing up, but I don't see mine? I should have a turkey sandwich there...

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Zeroing out wouldn't be necessary with GUID (the default Intel Mac partition table), and defragging isn't as big of a problem with HFS+ in general (the default format). However, sometimes instead of just erasing the partition I will repartition the drive. I have no idea if rebuilding the partition does anything, but I like to think so.

Any user can have a profile picture, but an avatar can only be used when you reach a certain post count, or if they have an avatar contest. Check out the FAQ. :D