So I got my Snow Leopard DVD Today

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
I'll install it over the weekend.
Should just pop it in and upgrade or do what i used to do on Windows - wipe the drive and install from scratch?
The urge to use DBAN and zero out the drive - is still strong! Old habits die hard. :apple: ftw

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
For the best possible user experience, a clean install would be best if you don't mind the slight hassle.
Not a hassle, been doing that for years with teh 'Doze.
Based on my Windows experience I would always zero out the drive thanks to remnants being left in the MBR time and time again - even after reformatting.

and why is your avatar showing up, but I don't see mine? I should have a turkey sandwich there...

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Not a hassle, been doing that for years with teh 'Doze.
Based on my Windows experience I would always zero out the drive thanks to remnants being left in the MBR time and time again - even after reformatting.

and why is your avatar showing up, but I don't see mine? I should have a turkey sandwich there...
Zeroing out wouldn't be necessary with GUID (the default Intel Mac partition table), and defragging isn't as big of a problem with HFS+ in general (the default format). However, sometimes instead of just erasing the partition I will repartition the drive. I have no idea if rebuilding the partition does anything, but I like to think so.

Any user can have a profile picture, but an avatar can only be used when you reach a certain post count, or if they have an avatar contest. Check out the FAQ. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.