So I gotta ask... iCloud for "downloaded" music?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by iSaint, Oct 4, 2011.

1. iSaint, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

How much longer before Apple begins to recognize music that is downloaded illegally? Will the record industry find a way to convince Apple to check everyone's iTunes library that's backed up on the cloud (or that's on their personal computer, Apple already does that through Genius) and delete items that have been illegally downloaded?

Seems like a distinct possibility.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And it also seems like a reasonable thing to do. Their Terms of Service undoubtedly includes a clause that you agree not to use iCloud for any pirated content, so you don't have any legal recourse either.

3. malikk macrumors member

I may be wrong. But doesn't iCloud automatically backup your iTunes? So wouldn't you not have a choice about if someone would have illegal content whether it goes up to the servers or not?

4. bmk macrumors regular

I'm surprised no one seems to have paid much attention to the words that were used during the iCloud presentation yesterday (or not that I can see anyway). Perhaps I'm missing something, but to me the Apple spokesperson made it absolutely clear that music that WASN'T bought in iTunes would be matched so that it could be STREAMED (his words) and kept in a cache (i.e. not permanent storage or a download), so that it could be played on your other devices. What he absolutely did not say, and he was very clear about it, was that iTunes match would DOWNLOAD copies of tunes that WEREN'T bought in iTunes to all your devices.

5. KsbjA macrumors newbie

They won't be able to prove you got your music illegally. You could have bought ut elsewhere or ripped from a CD using the very same iTunes app.

6. repete7 macrumors member

Yes, I heard that too. I'm very confused about the whole thing.