So I guess OS X will not be "going flat"

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by PatriotInvasion, Oct 25, 2013.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

If you look at the brand new icons for iLife and iWork apps, it's pretty clear Apple has no intention of making OS X look like iOS 7. The new icons offer a fresh new look but are by no means "flat" and I highly doubt Apple would make new icons again next year for OS XI.

While I do think flat design is a fad, and that people will eventually crave more shadowing and textures again down the line, I still would prefer a more unified UI and design scheme between my rMBP and iPhone 5s. Thoughts?

2. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Well, I think OS X has become a really mature and well working OS. Mavericks is pretty much perfect in the visual aspect IMO. One could always want a few more function to make the interface a bit more personalised, but the last thing I want is an iOS-style interface for my Macs. The iOS and Mac devices ARE different, and Apple would make a huge mistake if they pushed the unifying philosophy too far. That's my 2 cents anyway.

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I'm a fan of Mavericks thus far and like the new icons for iWork and iLife. I do think we could use icon updates for some other apps as well though. Safari, Photobooth, Preview, and others look dated compared to the new ones for the productivity apps. Overly glossy and skeuomorphic.

Speaking of dated, how about Dashboard? Those little widget designs have been the exact same since Tiger! Yikes. Either kill it off or do something with it.:eek:

4. CptSky macrumors regular

Well, I think it's 2 different platforms for 2 different uses. MS proved that unifying a desktop OS based on the mobile version wasn't a good option (I don't know anybody liking the Metro interface of Windows 8 on a desktop). And with the original Windows CE, it wasn't a good idea to put a desktop OS on a mobile system :p

I really think Mac OS X is a mature OS, without major issue related to the kernel or the design. And Apple, for the moment, seems to be fine by having OS X and iOS as two different systems.

5. Sankel macrumors member

Apple is moving it's new design slowly to OS X. The iPad was also late with it's design (at the introduction of iOS 7) So I think they are keeping it for next year.

Just a matter of time..