So, I hacked a phone but lost all previous info, including contacts

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cmm, Aug 27, 2009.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke a phone on a mac and when I went through the instructions, I set it up as a new phone as I had no backup on my mac of the phone - only on the windows computer.

How can I use that backup now? Do I need to reset the phone again?

Please help - I need to get my contacts!

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I know you can right click on the iPhone name and do a backup....try right clicking to see if you have a restore option in iTunes. Also, always sync your contacts with a native mail client...outlook, OutlookX, so you have them always.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Will that work since it's not the same iPhone - i.e. when I broke the iPhone, I set it up as a new one, and not one from backup?

4. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

When you first plugged it in it should have asked if you wanted to do new phone or from backup. I dont think it cares what phone gets the backup. Once you select new phone and that option is gone, I am not sure how to get it back other than restoring the phone again. That's why I suggested look for a restore option other than the firmware restore option...that'll remove your jailbreak.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did the restore on the windows computer where the backup was done, and the contacts are still not showing up.

Do you have any other suggestions? I don't have the contacts stored anywhere besides where I did the backup on the windows box. If I have to do a firmware restore I will, to get the contacts back. I can't risk losing those contacts...

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm assuming that you have a backup on your windows pc that contains your contacts. If so, connect your phone to your computer and right-click on your phone in itunes. Select "restore from backup" and select the backup that should contain your contacts. If that still doesn't work, I would do a system restore on your computer (that's assuming it's XP - not sure if Vista has that option but hopefully it does). Choose a restore date from before you jailbroke your phone - that should bring your contacts back on your Windows PC.