So I had a chance to try being a Fandroid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jare, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I decided to see what all the fuss was about Android. Most of my friends have some form of an Android phone and try and convince me to switch over. I decided to do a HUP temporarily to an Acer Liquid E (Rogers/Android 2.1) to get a feel for Android and shelve my iPhone 4 for a few days. This was while I wait for the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate to be released.

Of course I had the new toy syndrome, playing with the phone all day long downloading this, adding a widget here, moving shortcuts around and downloading LauncherPro. I had to download the free SlideIT keyboard because the Swype beta is closed, but nonetheless I still got an idea of what "swyping" would be like.

I looked into Rooting, but it just reminded me of Jailbreaking on the iPhone 4, mostly pointless. I don't need a ton of features with any phone I have, as long as I can get access to Social Networks, make calls, text, play some games the odd time and/or play with apps then I'm perfectly fine. I don't need "themes" or tethering like a lot of people want with iPhone 4's.

I was quite content for awhile with Android, it seemed smooth albeit the iPhone was obviously much faster, smoother and fluid (though that might just be the handset I chose, I didn't want a high end Android phone if I wasn't going to like it!) I loved texting with SlideIT and the facebook/twitter app reminded me of home on my iPhone 4. Everything was fantastic but I could NEVER make this a permanent phone. Also, the camera SUCKED on this phone both UI and pictures.

There were a few glitches, one I only have a temporary solution for (and this seems to be a widespread Rogers/Android problem) text message time stamps had to be corrected by an outside fix (a patch in the marketplace) because the threading times were off, making all received messages -4 hours the actual time they were sent. Using a task killer on Android ****ed that up for me and I'd have to let the patch run in the background permanently.

I also don't see what the fuss is about the notification's system in Android. Sure a magic little pull down was convenient but it was nothing revolutionary. In fact at times it was very messy and bothersome to check through. But it wasn't terrible, just not something that was anything like most people mentioned on Android.

Android's Marketplace was garbage. There's not much more you can say about it. All the apps reminded me of how bad the Apple's app store is as well, almost nothing useful and the rest garbage. You feed through the absolute CRAP to get to any useful applications on both devices.

Last but not least, rooting/jailbreaking. Both are still quite useless to me and most people unless there's something diehard you need from it. Most themes for the iPhone 4 are horrible and everything in both is just made by some amateur hacker and mostly unstable. You have to jump through hoops to get the "open" feeling of both devices and honestly neither actually feels like you're "breaking the mold" of both devices. Flashing ROM's that are mostly unstable and have lack of updates it quite pointless to me. Stock OS's + applications is all I need unless both sets of rooting/jbing actually brings something groundbreaking to the table.

In the end, all it came down to was being bored of the iPhone's home screen concept of a grid of icons for navigation and lack of some small features like Swype (it's a great way to text and no one can deny it) and maybe Widgets. My iPhone 4 will still get use, about 60% of the time but I think I'm just going to go with the Liquid E when I get fully bored of my iPhone.

If you're thinking of moving to Android, I suggest not giving up your iPhone/iPhone 4 for one. Get a cheaper model that's still useful and running at least 2.1 before you even consider switching. You need to actually have it in your hands for a good week or two before you know what Android is really like. Don't just play with one in store, it doesn't do the job.

Also would like to mention that the battery life on the Liquid E surprisingly blew away my iPhone 4, without live wallpaper's being used. With live wallpapers, the iPhone 4 ate my Liquid E for breakfast.

2. aohus macrumors 68000

I stopped reading from there. Try running 2.2 at least.

And you're not supposed to run task killer.

and how is the notification bar cumbersome? you can opt not to view any of your messages. customize what messages you want pulled. looks as though you didn't put much effort into learning the Android interface. Of course, it has a higher learning curve, but the benefits of knowing the system outweigh the work in learning the UI.

I assure you had you been running 2.2, your take on Android would be a bit better.

3. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

The Android selection from Rogers is terrible. They'll be getting a Galaxy S eventually but as of right now it's the "best" phone. The X10 is garbage and everything else is completely low end.

4. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

It helps with battery, anything else people say is a myth.

Also, there's no 2.2 devices available from Rogers and I'd prefer to not void my warranty to try it.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You didn't mention network quality at all. Many Android phones don't match up to the iPhone when comparing hardware and features--but Verizon and even Sprint pretty much blows AT&T out of the water in most markets which means an Android phone will run far better. You can't separate the phone from the network.

6. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

The only good network in Canada is Rogers, WIND is great too but it's not in enough area's.

I have no way of a comparison to AT&T/etc.

7. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Actually, you are not entirely correct. Telus and Bell (Bellus) have released their HSPA+ network quite a few months ago which is more upgraded than Rogers. Their coverage and speed has improved, but the one main difference I heard is that Rogers can set you up with roaming for USA.

So as far as speed and coverage, Rogers no longer holds the edge. Telus and Bell also now share towers.

If I am missing something here let me know.

Personally I think they are all crooks but meh.. Telus hasn't treated me too bad other than trying to rob me blind.

WW

8. aohus macrumors 68000

actually, you're wrong. task killer's can adversely affect battery life if not used correctly. additionally, task killing is already natively available in 2.2 by going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications

all google developers as well as 3rd party android developers are saying its not needed, overrated, or can adversely affect the OS.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The funny thing is, the rest of your post makes clear that you didn't. :p

10. aohus macrumors 68000

yah. but then i read it all, interested in what he had to say. he gives a fair assessment, but comparing a iPhone4 to an older Android OS is a bit unfair. Thats like comparing froyo 2.2 to an iPhone with iOS 3.2 on it.

11. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I've actually gotten 2.2 on my Liquid E. Since I after googling I found a way to go back to 2.1 and whatnot, I thought I'd try it out (mobile hotspot and all).

I'll be adding that in, but honestly I don't see it changing much of my views. But I'll give it a better assessment once I've played with 2.2 longer.

12. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

When I was looking for a smartphone, those were my exact complaints. First, you play with the Android in the store. Oh, actually you don't because as soon as you come in a jolly little salesman attaches himself to your ankle and refuses to let go. Bla bla bla goes the salesman, not realizing that you would like to be alone to play with the phone for about an hour or two.

Hard Sell Is Not Always The Best Option, Boys.

N'kay, then the idea of having one for a week in your very own possession is totally out, unless you want to fake buy it and take it home to try out then go through all of the hell of bringing it back and putting up with more ankle biting and bla bla bla.

Finally, all this jalbreaking. GAD what a headache! Do this, but only if you do that first, but if you do that you can never ever do _________ (fill in the blank) OR ELSE! Oh, you didn't realize that you have to have a compatible frequency phone in order to run it like it's even on EDGE (or slower) and not have an orbiting satellite demolish your house for being BAD.

ARGGGGH. I decided that no matter what anyone was offering in the offroad iPhone/app store (Cydia or The Bitten Pineapple or whatever they called it) it wasn't worth the pain, hassle, and agony of jailbreaking. Eternal youth, perfect enlightenment, perfect health, or bringing back a loved one from the dead, maybe. Getting the iPhone to act as your garage door opener, no.

13. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Finally someone who agree's with me! Haha. Yeah it's a bit of PITA when you're trying to return something (especially an Android phone, the reps are like WHY ITS THE GREATEST THING EVER also happens sometimes with the iPhone 4)

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

It really doesnt. More research is needed on your end.

What the hec is a Liquid E?

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Jailbreaking is a snap if you get the right file for the phone you have. Made my iPhone much more enjoyable. Cant just jump into something like most do when they see an upgrade available and just download it without reading anything, and then whine when their phone is messed up.

16. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Acer Liquid E.