so i had to restore during 1.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.666, Oct 4, 2007.

1. mr.666 macrumors member

and lost a bunch of important pictures. and some notes i took. this blows!

any ideas on sucessful retival of photos?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

AFAIK, when you restore, it blows everything off of the device. :(

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Just remember to backup photos next time you do an update. They are gone for good now.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I had the exact situation happen to me when I upgraded to 1.1.1.

Since I had mailed most of my photos to friends, I was able to go thru my Sent folder (on my computer) and find copies of most of the pictures. They had been resized smaller, but it was better than nothing.

5. mr.666 thread starter macrumors member

anyone try software to recover them? seems there's stuff for windowz that i'll try on the GF's laptop.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Let us know what you find. I thought the iPhone was basically "formatted" (and all data lost) when you do a restore. Would be cool to know if that's not the case!

7. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I actually did do a sync before applying 1.1.1 - just in case I had a problem. I didn't realize that the photos on the iPhone didn't sync/get backed up during the process. Sure enough the firmware installation failed initially (no idea why since I never had 3rd party apps on the device). On the next connection, iTunes did a restore. It restored nearly everything *except* photos, my YouTube bookmarks, and my wifi settings.

I lost a handful of photos including a number of rainbow photos (I see them in my area once every few years, so that really stinks!).

:mad:

--DotComCTO