So I have a chance for a free bed...but...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Jun 13, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

It belonged to my mom, who is now deceased...

Six months before she died she moved to assisted living, and got this nice new bed. I think it was about $2500.00, than after she passed away in the hospital it was moved to my brothers house where it has been sitting in storage all that time.

I really need a new bed, but cant afford one without going into debt, so Im not really sure what to do. There really isnt anything wrong with it, but it just seems kind of creepy..

I dunno....would anyone else have a problem with it ?

2. nlr macrumors 6502

I wouldn't because things always come back to haunt you.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Not at all.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It was only used for 6 months.

6. bern1812 macrumors member

When I clicked the link I assumed this would be about bedbugs!

You can never pass up a free mattress, those things are expensive! It cant be as a bad as a dorm bed. God only knows the terrible, terrible, unholy things that have happened in those beds.

I wouldnt have a problem with it. Just put on some sheets your mother would aprove of, and she wont haunt you.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I slept in the bed my wife's grandmother died in the week before (she was, thankfully, no longer there). That was 18 years ago and I'm still alive and not haunted.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Its a bed. As long as there were no major stains, just get it. Why waste money when you can get one for free?

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I personally wouldn't worry about it. A 2,500 bed must be a good one...

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

use it. why not?

other option, sell it on cl and use that money to buy a new one for yourself.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Use it, my mother died in our family home's front room, we didn't move house, why waste a perfectly good bed, while memories may be painful they're worth hanging on to, even if they're a little morbid for now.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm siding with the OP on this one. Unless you have been their shoes, you might not understand the hesitancy. However, I think you should keep the bed.... but you should consider a bit of a "ceremony" to mark the change over from being your mom's bed to yours. I don't know what would be meaningful to you, but it doesn't have to be religious.... just something symbolic. A toast, or a going away party. But I think it will be easier for you if acknowledge your mom's presence, and then symbolically mark that her presence is no longer tied to the bed. Get a little drunk, it may help.

My condolences to you.

13. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

If she died in the bed, I'd prob just sell the mattress and buy a new one, if she didn't I'd still use it.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Your mother would probably want you to have the bed. Why waste money on a new bed when mine was perfectly fine? Not good enough for you? If you feel creepy, then buy a twenty buck mattress cover, which you should get anyway, and then you'll be fine. The first time you "make that bed your own", you will forget about the creepiness.

I'm talking about sex, if you missed it.....

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I was in the OP's shoes and have no problems with my deceased mom's bed. That's why I responded to the question.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Go for it. Not many of us come that close to acting on our Oedipus complex.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

That could be taken so many different ways. All of them are creepy.

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

Only if your mind works that way.... :)

I really do mean something like a leaving a window open over night to let their mom's "presence" to move on, or burning sweet-grass. Anything that will mark, in their mind at least, that this bed is now theirs.