Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hello all... i have a dead mac mini. It's a powerpc g4 version 1.42ghz... I was going to install it in my car for a car computer project. While the mac mini was shut off, I was checking the power connection (24 volts) from the power brick to the mac mini, well my positive+ connection was loose, and i accidently left my ignition acc. switch on while I was moving the wires around. So basically the power was connected and disconnected very quickly several times dude to a bad connection. I am pretty sure this fried something on the logic board of the mini. I no long have a warrenty. I have tried everything... it will not power on what so ever, I even tried my friend's mac mini power supply and it will not do a thing. I have tried resetting the pram and all. Nothing works, doesnt even make a sound, fan or drive does not spin up, no power light... ugh!

So i was wondering, the electronicaly smart people out there... what do you think would be the first to blow on the logic board of the mac mini? I see there are a few regulators and capacitors around the dc-input on the board, but i can't see anything fried, it all looks and smells good as new. ... I'm not sure what to check for and I want to attempt to fix my mac mini... I don't have $250 to spend for a new logic board :(

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
oh! no the house/socket fuse on my isuzu rodeo is fine. . . I have tried my friend's mac mini power supply at his house with no luck. right now i have the mac mini in pieces...

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Hmm...
any number of things could have happened. My guess would be that the jolt of electricity fried an IC or the CPU (or both). Or possibly it burned out the connector between the power cord and motherboard.

In almost any case, it's difficult to know what happened if it just doesn't turn on. Unless you have an extra motherboard lying around from a g4 mini, you're probably out of luck as to diagnosing the issue.

Edit: forgot to ask, since you have it in pieces, do you see any burns or discolored areas?

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
nope i dont see anything burnt what so ever, it looks brand new, everything nice and shiny... i spent over 20 minutes looking at every detail of the board...

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
hmm...
I'm not sure what you can do. I'd say it would be difficult to fix your existing mini, so you might want to get a new motherboard/cpu from ebay (obviously it has to be from a mini, though.) But if you go this route, you might have a problem with RAM or other components.

Unfortunately, your best bet is probably to get a new mini.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.