iPhone So I have an iPhone 3G here...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by irixion, Jun 17, 2014.

1. irixion macrumors newbie

So I found an iPhone 3G on the street, missing all the buttons aside from home, and it's locked with a passcode. There was no SIM card in there.

I'd like to restore it and jailbreak it, but I can't seem to get it anywhere. I can't get it into DFU/Recovery because there's no power button, and no programs can detect its existence since it's locked with a passcode. I think it's running iOS 4.2.x, but I don't really have a way of checking.

What can I do? I've already tried letting the battery drain, plugging it in, and holding down the home button to get it into recovery but that's not working..

2. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

You expect someone to help you gain access to a stolen device? Good luck with that thief.

3. Asator macrumors 6502a

Asator

Try asking the police, they should be able to help you.

4. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I'll answer you. The phone is a paperweight now, without knowing the code it's impossible to bypass and even in recovery it will ask for the code to proceed.
    Return it to the owner and next time learn that Apples figured one way to fight thievery.

5. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

An old, broken iPhone you found on the street that doesn't turn on, and your first reaction is to try and jailbreak it...? Man there are some strange people out there.

Without the home button, it will be completely impossible to get it in to recovery/DFU mode.

6. irixion, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014

irixion thread starter macrumors newbie

I already went to the cops, they said they can't do anything with it. There's no identification on it, it's broken, so there's no way to find out the owner since there's no SIM and no way to get the IMEI.

The definition of a thief is taking something that doesn't belong to you. I didn't take it; I found it, tried finding the owner, but it's been over 3 weeks.

Lastly, I've restored my iPhone 3G running on OS 4.2.1, when I forgot the passcode, so there's a way to do it. I just need to get it into DFU, but I can't do that without the power button. Worst case scenario I could just buy new buttons and install them. Thought I'd as for a simple way to do it.

I said POWER, not HOME. That's the only button missing.